Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Eve

The house seems very quiet without Rylea.  I miss her so.  I thank all of you for your kind words and prayers.  Today was even worse, because I had to take Jesse to the dog hotel early.  They were closing at noon, so their employees could spend the holiday with their families, so he wasn't even here to keep me company.  

I can neither confirm nor deny that when I went to go get some more firewood, I stood at the back door calling, "Jesse, I'm going to go get more wood. You coming?  Jesse?  Jesse?"  Then I remembered, and felt like a doofus.  

OK, moving right along...

I hadn't planned on making the big spread we usually have for Christmas Eve, since it was just going to be the two of us -- Cody and me -- and I really didn't feel like doing a bunch of cooking anyway.  It's been a rough week, you know.  I wanted to have something, though, so  I made the the perennial favorite snickerdoodles, 

and chocolate chip.  I cheated on them, though.  My sister had sent this big tub of scoop and score -- um, I mean scoop and bake -- dough home with me when we went to Texas back in July.  

I'd stuck it up in the freezer, and decided this was a good time to get it out and use it.   Honestly, they weren't as good as the ones I make, but eh, they'll do.  So, we had those two, and I thought it'd be enough, but lo and behold, I found some gumdrops that I'd vacuum sealed and froze!  

Naturally, I had to make gumdrop cookies.  It just isn't Christmas without gumdrop cookies.  Except that it is, because that's not what Christmas is all about.  I just like them, and wanted to make them. 

Since we're going to head out pretty early tomorrow, we opened our gifts tonight, so we wouldn't have to rush through it in the morning.  I think this might be Cody's favorite.  


He put it on as soon as I finished taking pictures and didn't take it off until he went to bed.  I jokingly asked him if he were going to sleep in it.  He said no, but I'm not sure I believe him. 

Anyway, here is my loot:  


New baking pans from Cody and Brennan -- good heavy Wilton pans, a US Navy Christmas ornament from my sister and her family, a weather radio from the completely and totally awesome Kristine, blueberry jelly from my sister, a book clip (to hold my music books open) also from my sister's family, a mess kit for my bug out bag from my older brother and sister in law, a new shirt from my sister, a music light from my younger brother, and a new Texas flag, also from my older brother and sister in law.  

And here is Cody's loot:


The socks and fireweed jelly are from my sister, but the rest is from me.  His main gift is lost somewhere in shipping limbo, so I printed out a photo of it and wrapped it up, which Cody totally got a kick out of.  It's the hat, in case you couldn't figure that out.  His other hat got soaked in Hurricane Harvey, so he needed a new one. 

By the way, Brennan's gift didn't arrive, either.  It's been in Oxford since the 20th, but can't seem to make it the 42 miles down the way to Grenada.  I know the post office is behind, but that's just ridiculous.  I could have walked up there and gotten it faster.  

Well, I'm going to head for bed now, but before I go, I'm going to leave you with this statement from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency:  

“Director Michel was released from the hospital Wednesday night. He’s now at home resting and wants to thank everyone that has prayed for him and checked on him during his illness. He can’t thank his medical team enough for all their efforts in his recovery. Mr. Michel looks forward to being back at work as soon as he can. In the meantime, he’ll be spending a restful Christmas at home.” - Malary White, MEMA Director of External Affairs

Thank you to all of you who said a quick prayer for Director Michel.  He has worked his tail off for this state this year, and I know he appreciates all of your prayers.  

Since I won't see you tomorrow, or likely Sunday, either, I'll just wish you all a 

Happy Christmas, and good night. 



No comments: