Friday, December 04, 2020

Here We Go Again

Well, another acquaintance of mine is in the hospital with COVID.  

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't know her all that well, but I do know her.  Her family goes to my church, and I served on the library committee with her mom for a couple of years.  Her older brother worked out at the plant with me for a while, a long time ago.  He's a truck driver now.  Her other brother was the one who took Cody under his wing, and mentored him back when he thought he wanted to go into the ministry.  

A few days ago, her older brother posted requesting prayers for her, because she had contracted the virus.  She already has severe asthma and other breathing problems.  Her oxygen levels were dropping, and if they got any worse, they were going to admit her to the hospital.  Last night, he posted again.  They've admitted her to the hospital down in Jackson.  There are no beds available, so she has to stay in the ER until one opens up.  

According to state health officer Dr Thomas Dobbs, there are no beds anywhere.  The 12 largest hospitals in the state have zero ICU beds.   We've been averaging 2000+ new cases diagnosed every day here lately.  To make matters worse, richer states are coming here and headhunting our nurses.  He was on the press conference last week begging them not to go.  Unless you think he's lying because you saw a meme on Facebook.  

We've had several new cases diagnosed out at the plant this week.  I know our case count has to be over 150 by now.  I don't know for sure, because they don't tell us.  We only find out by second hand plant gossip.  As in, "Where is So-and-So?"  "Oh, she's in quarantine, because the person who works beside her has the COVID."  That kind of thing.

Buckle up, folks, it's going to be rough these next few weeks.  So, let's talk about something more pleasant, shall we?

My new Christmas tree has LED lights on it.  They shine in both white and multi-colored -- but not at the same time.  And they have multiple blinking patterns, including alternating between white and multi-colored.  Anyway, this morning, I decided to go with all white lights.  

I probably won't do this very often, as I prefer multi-colored lights, but it made a nice change.  I really did want white lights on my mantle, so when I was at the store this morning, I picked up a string.  It really brightens that corner up.

Look!  I got a Christmas card!  This one from my friend Amy.  I do so enjoy receiving them.  


For the last few years, I've had this arrangement in my living room.  


Just the other day, I was thinking I'd someday like to light those candles.  But as they're real wax candles, once you burn them, they're gone.  It was then I got the bright idea to get some fake LED candles.  As it happens, I got the last two they had in the store today.  


These, I can both burn -- so to speak-- and keep year after year.  It's like having your cake and eating it, too.  

Speaking of eating...

My friend who lives in Wisconsin has managed to tame a wild porcupine.  It comes into their house, and eats from their hands.  It even scratches on the door when it wants in.  They've named it Porky.  Way cool.  

Meanwhile, I've been feeding Templeton, but haven't seen him (or her) since the day I caught him in the trap.  I know he's eating, because the food always disappears.  After seeing my friend posting porcupine videos, I started calling Templeton's name when I put the food down.  Hopefully, he'll learn to associate the sound of my voice with food appearing, and will start coming out.  Rats are very intelligent, so maybe I can sort of tame this one. 

Call me crazy, but what with winter coming on, I figured he needed a more well rounded diet than just deer corn and bird seed, so I bought him some rat food. 

I may be getting a little carried away with this whole rat mom thing.  

And finally,  I got a new hat last month, but kept forgetting to show it to you.   

I have tons of hats, but not a Navy one.  Being a Navy vet, I needed a Navy hat.  Really, I did.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 


No comments: