Monday, October 12, 2020

Worried Over Nothing

Well, this was the big weekend.  My son finally brought home a girlfriend for me to meet.  I was surprisingly nervous about this -- imagining the worse scenarios possible.  What if she didn't like me?  Or worse, what if I didn't like her?  It's obvious Cody is very much in love with her, so what would I do then?  

Turns out all my worrying was -- as it so often is -- much ado about nothing, because she is absolutely precious.  She was pretty quiet at first, but Cody told me that was because she was nervous.  "She normally talks more than this, but she's nervous," he said.  I assured her that we're just ordinary people here, and she soon relaxed a bit.

They got here right about lunch time, so we took Brennan on a little tour around down, starting with a trip across the levee.  We thought about going to the visitor's center, but it was closed due to COVID, so we didn't.  We pulled into the little picnic area right beside it, got out and looked at the water.  I mentioned if it hadn't been rainy, we could have gotten our food and had on a picnic. 

But we still showed her around -- the boat landing, and the little beach I used to take Cody to when he was young.  Somewhere in the conversation, I asked if she was an outdoorsy person.  She said, "I'm from Memphis, so no."  Naturally, all that did was make me want to take her home to Texas and show her the swamps, and bayous, and woods I grew up in.  

After we'd gotten our lunch, we went home and started watching cheesy Hallmark romance movies, but ended up switching to Firefly when Cody told me she'd never watched it.  I asked him if he wanted to start at the beginning, but he said skip straight to the cunning hat episode, so we did.  And of course, I told her she couldn't be one of us unless she had a Jayne hat.  

I don't think she really liked it, but she was a good sport and put it on.  At least long enough for me to get a picture.  

After that, Cody wanted to watch It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  Can you believe she'd never seen it?  That blew my mind!  How on earth do you grow up in the United States Of America without ever seeing Great Pumpkin?  Now, I'm wondering if she'd ever seen A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving or A Charlie Brown Christmas.  I get the feeling she's been pretty sheltered, but I didn't ask her too many questions.  She was already nervous about meeting me.  I didn't want her to feel like I was giving her the third degree.  

But I feel like we've got a whole new world we can show her.  

All in all, it was a nice visit.  But the weirdest part of the whole day was this...when I first woke up, this song was running through my head. 

I have no idea what they're saying, though, because it's in Irish.  If you couldn't tell...

And finally, I lost another acquaintance to COVID.  He'd worked out at the plant several years ago --  I think he was in IT, but I don't remember for sure.  I do remember he was a really nice man.  I hadn't seen him in years, but I'm still very sad to hear of his passing.  

Someone told me his wife, who still works out there with us, also tested positive, but I don't know for sure.  

Just keep the family in your prayers, if you would.  I know they'd appreciate it. 



No comments: