Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Not A Good Day

 I knew right away what kind of day it was going to be when I woke up bright and early at 4:30 AM overly concerned about Mercy and Comfort.  I'm not quite sure what my concern was, or why I was fretting so, but there it was. 

For those of you who aren't in the know, Mercy and Comfort are the U.S. Navy hospital ships.  


The rest of the day went by uneventfully until right after lunch...when The Boss Who Must Not Be Named told us he's decided to go back to the front office.  I assumed it was to his old job, but I didn't ask.  I seem to be suffering from a deplorable lack of nosiness.  Whatever he does, it all boils down to the fact that he will no longer be our boss...who must not be named. Other Boss is now going to be our Boss.  

Nobody is very happy about that.  Oh, don't get me wrong.  I like Other Boss.  He's a really nice guy.  He's just not...The Boss Who Must Not Be Named.  

I don't want to talk about it any more...



In Knitting News, I've decided I'm going to start knitting some socks again.  I'd stopped a few years ago because I just didn't have time.  I'd had a bunch of socks I'd knit over the years, and they all started wearing out at the same time.  I couldn't knit fast enough to keep up with how quickly my socks were getting holes in them, so I copped out and started buying store bought socks.  They wear out pretty fast as well, but they're relatively cheap, so I kept on buying them.  

Part of the problem is I have these super skinny ankles.  Seriously, I lack about half an inch being able to encircle them with my thumb and middle finger.  But to get to those seriously skinny ankles, I had to work my socks over gargantuan man size heels.  Therein lies the rub.  No matter how loosely I cast on, no matter which cast on I used, the cuff was always too tight, or the sock was way too loose at the ankle and would fall down inside my shoe. 

I know, I know, some of you would say, "Just do toe up socks!"  Thing is, I tried doing those, but I'd still run into the same problem, only in reverse.  I couldn't find a bind off loose enough.  Thus, knitting socks became an exercise in frustration.  

However, now that I've found the Chinese Waitress cast on, which is the stretchiest cast on I've ever come across, I'm ready to try again.  For this attempt, I dove way back into the very back of the yarn closet and dug out this Filatura di Crose Maxime print yarn, in the Partie colorway.  Yes, that's really how it's spelled on the ball band. 

It's some I bought probably 15 years ago, down at that high dollar yarn store in Jackson.  I figure it's been marinating long enough.  Now, I just have to find a pattern.

And finally, I do appreciate my governor.  Tater Tot.  I haven't agreed with every decision he's made, but he's had a lot on his plate in his first year -- from prison riots, to historic flooding, to killer tornadoes, to an extremely active hurricane season -- all in the midst of a global pandemic.  

All that being said, this just made me laugh.  

  

OK, now that I'm done laughing, I'm off to browse sock patterns.

Laters...

No comments: