Saturday, October 03, 2020

Saturday Stuff

 I woke up this morning to a brisk, almost wintery 44'.  


Good thing I brought my plants in last night.  Oh, I don't really think it would have gotten cold enough to hurt them, but still...better safe than sorry.  It wasn't quite cold enough in the house to turn the heater on, but boy that coffee sure tasted extra good.  It eventually warmed up into the low 70s, and turned off absolutely beautiful.  

So, what did I do with myself on this absolutely beautiful day?  Aside from the usual laundry and other housework, I took a few moments and started sorting all of the yarn I got earlier this week.  Most of it ended up being sock/fingering weight yarn, but there was some sport and worsted in there, too.  

For some reason, these caught my eye.  


It is Happy Fuzzy Yarn, and the colorway is "Kiss Me!"  There is just about 1700 yards there.  It looks like Suzie had something in mind for this.  She'd already wound one hank into a ball, and was about halfway through winding another one.   If I knew which pattern she'd picked for this, I'd go ahead and make it.  But I don't, so I'll have to find something appropriate for it. 

In the meantime, I knitted some of it into my sock yarn blanket while I was watching football. 


Here's the interesting thing.  While I was digging said sock yarn blanket out of the closet, I found a couple of bags in there.  "Hmmm," I said to myself, "I wonder what's in these?"  Because you know my memory is about as tight as a colander.  Pulling the bags down, I found some long forgotten projects.  Starting with these:


There are a couple of scarves in there, and some extra yarn I was using to make hats.  Unfortunately, the mice had gotten to them.  The red yarn had a bit of chewed spots, and little wad of pink/white/black yarn I ended up just tossing.  It had been chewed up too much to make it even worth trying to salvage.  The rest of it is OK, except for the pink scarf.  It had one little chewed spot, but it was right at the top, and I can just tink back a row or two, cut that spot out, and keep going.  The rest is just extra yarn, which will end up likely being knit into hats.  Which I will need, because I tossed out this hat as well.      


It was in the same bag, and had more holes in it than I wanted to try to mend-  even if I could find a matching scrap of yarn.  I can't even remember what yarn that was.  Probably some Cascade 220 Superwash.  

In a separate plastic box, I found a partially finished cross stitch I started years and years ago.  


So long ago, I don't even remember how long ago I started it.  I kept it out, and am going to try to get it finished. 

I'm telling you, my piano is freaking me out a bit.  For those of you who don't know, I have a digital piano.  It's a Yamaha P71.  I've had it for a year and 4 months.  One of the things I'd been lamenting lately is that I can't play dynamics on it.  If I barely touch a key, it plays at the same volume as if I pound that thing like it's a nail.  

Until yesterday, that is.  

I was sitting there playing, practicing for your Christmas concert, when I noticed the notes sounded much softer than normal.  My first panicked thought was that my digital piano was about to crap out.  However, upon further experimentation, I discovered that my piano now plays dynamically.  If I hit the key softly, it plays a quiet note.  If I hit it hard, it plays a loud note.

I have no idea how that happened.  

I'm kind of glad it did, but it's a little freaky, as I didn't even know this piano was supposed to do that.  I guess I need to find the manual and see what it says.  In the meantime, I'm having to re-learn how to play the thing.  

This ought to be interesting. 


  

No comments: