Tuesday, February 19, 2019

One Of Those Days

I knew straight away what kind of day it would be when I got to work and my gloves got stuck in the PPE machine.  Sigh...


And it's not like the candy machine where you can just put another dollar in.  Once it's issued you your two pair per week, that's it.  I tried to find my supervisor to get him to do the over ride thingy, but it was nearly lunch time before I tracked him down.  By that time, I figured, eh, might as well keep wearing the old, nasty pair I had on.

Funny, you'd think as uptight as my work place gets about PPE, they'd be less stingy with it.

After said gloves got stuck in said machine, I trudged over to my brazing stand, where I discovered that my B shift counter part had left me another round of my favorite game:  Guess The Unlabeled Order.

That's right.  No pick list.  No parts tickets.  No work order.  No print.  Not even a handwritten note on a piece of scrap paper.

And so goes the day...

Along about 10:00, one of my coworkers came over and told me it was snowing up in Oxford.  But did we get any?  Noooo, all we got was rain.  Lots and lots of rain.  And a forecast of rain for the next four days.

Coming back from lunch, another coworker came over and put her hand on my arm.  I'll have to admit, my first thought was, "Why the heck is this crazy lady putting ice on me?"  But it wasn't ice.  Her hands were just that cold.  And wet.  Despite predictions of temps in the mid 50s, it never made it out of the 40s.

But the day was not all bad, as the first round of stuff I bought in my Amazon tax refund spending spree arrived!

First up, a field guide to local birds.


I needed this.  Now I'll know what my birds are, rather than "some kind of sparrow" or "a titmouse, maybe", or "what the heck is that?"  And a book is so much easier than trying to identify them from a website, too.  That's an exercise in frustration, I tell you.

Like I needed another set of cookie cutters.  But look, this one has four Texases, a longhorn, a jalapeno, and a star.


I've been wanting one for a long time, and finally, my mini helmet collection is complete.


OK, technically, the LSU helmet is Cody's, but when I asked, he said he'd rather leave it here, so I'm kind of counting it as mine.


He also has an Indianapolis Colts helmet around here somewhere.  It got packed up when I moved, and there's no telling where it is.  One of these days, I'll find all these things I know I have but don't know where they are.

A week or so ago, someone posted a video in one of my knitting groups about a different kind of row counter.  It looked so cool, I thought, "I need one of those."  However, the $20 price tag was way too steep for what you got for it.  I was about to move on and live without it, when one of the members piped up and said, "I can make some for the group."  I gladly accepted her offer, and here it is:


I'll have to find the video again, to see how to use it.  I shall need to write her a thank you letter,  too, which I can do now, because look, I have a writing desk now!


Or a reasonable facsimile thereof.  I do hope someday to get a real writing desk.  I can't find just the right one, though.  The really nice ones are way out of my current budget, and the ones I can afford are cheap, particle board crap. 

I'm still kicking myself for selling that roll top desk I used to have.  When I got my first computer, and computer desk, I didn't think I'd ever need it again.  Truth is, I didn't really miss it until I got back into real writing here recently.  Now I wish I still had it.  Oh well, one day I'll have one.  For now, my TV table will have to do.  And I am going to keep writing, because of things like this:


It makes it all worth it. 














No comments: