Saturday, February 09, 2019

Firewood and Camouflage

Before I dive into today's blog post, I have a little business that needs tending to.  As most of you have heard by now, Google + is shutting down in April.  If you've never heard of Google +, it was a social media site -- Google's alternative to Facebook.  It never really took off.  I liked it, but could never convince any of my friends to join.

You would think as much as people grouse and moan about Facebook, they'd be more willing to try out some of these alternatives, but no.  I think they'd just rather stay put and gripe.  I've joined several other social media sites, but it's like pulling teeth to get people to sign up for them.  Maybe in the near future, I'll do a post about some of them.  And yes, I do have a clear favorite. Which none of my friends are on.  "Not user friendly" they say.  But when I ask what about them isn't user friendly, they can't answer.  I think they're just more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by throwing off the sites to which they are accustomed.

Anyway, the whole point of all that is, if you follow my links from Google +, and want to keep reading (because I really want you to keep reading), I would encourage you to book mark the site, or follow me on Feedly.  Other alternatives including friending me on Facebook, or following me on Instagram.

Now that that bit of housekeeping is taken care of, on to my exciting Saturday life.  Woo hoo!  I know you can't wait!  All righty, then...

Friday afternoon, I was out back hauling up some firewood, when I noticed my pile was beginning to get a little low.


No big deal, I thought, because I still have all this other wood from the tree I had cut down.


I hauled out my splitting wedge and Mjolnir and got to work.  I got three pieces "busted" as they say in this part of the South, and began to realize why our ancestors never got fat and had heart attacks.  That is hard work, I'm telling you!  Our ancestors were definitely made of tougher stuff than we are.

Still, I'm going to try to get out and get one or two pieces split per day until it's all ready for the wood stove.  Hopefully, I'll get it done before it gets too hot.  I've thought about buying a gasoline log splitter, but once this pile is all taken care of, I won't have a need for it any more.  I'd have to sell it at a loss, and don't really want to go there.

I went out today and got a couple more pieces split, then came inside and cast on a new hat.


That new yarn I bought looks much more like hunting camo than the Woodsy I was using before.  Yes, I'd been saying the name wrong.  It's not Woodland.  It's Woodsy.  Like the pollution owl.  Remember him?

Help Woodsy spread the word, 
Never be a dirty bird

Yeah...

As you can see, I'm about halfway through the orange stripe, then I'm going back to the camo for the crown and decreases.  I might put an orange pom pom on it.  I haven't decided yet.

That's about all I've got for today, unless you want to hear about washing dishes and doing laundry.  Oh, I did get a letter into the mail, and have another one about halfway written.

Again, if I have your address, it could be for you!  You'll just have to watch your mailbox and see!





No comments: