Friday, February 08, 2019

Insomnia

Insomnia hit me hard this week, especially Tuesday night.  I went to bed around 7:00, because when one gets up at 3:00 AM, one tends to go to bed around 7:00.  I tossed and I turned, and I looked at the clock, and I tossed and I turned some more.  I looked at the clock again and thought, "Dang, I could have stayed up and watched the SOTU after all."

I got up and got a drink of vinegar water to quell the heartburn that was rising in me, used the bathroom, and went back to bed, where I finally drifted off to sleep...only to wake up at midnight, not to sleep again for the rest of the night.

I briefly considered calling in and staying in bed, but I didn't.  I got up and went to work, where I was surprisingly energetic, considering I'd only gotten about 2 hours of sleep the night before.  I was going to blog Wednesday, but along around 6:00 PM, the lack of sleep finally caught up to me, and I simply wilted.

To bed I went, where I fell asleep almost immediately and slept all night.  And the next day, you'd think I's be feeling great after all the sleep I'd gotten, but no.  I was absolutely dragging all day. 

That was Thursday.  I felt so draggy, I went to bed early and completely forgot to watch The Big Bang Theory.  Thank goodness for Hulu and DVRs, huh?  The bad news is, last night, insomnia hit me again, and I tossed and turned, but only until about 11:00 when I drifted off to dream -- of what, I can't remember.  At least we had today off, so I could sleep in.

Sort of.  I mean, I do still have dogs.

Let's just say, I was up before the sun, but slept until after the time I'd normally be at work.  OK, OK, I got up at 4:45.  I built a fire, made a cup of coffee, and spent a relaxing morning knitting and savoring my coffee, before getting dressed and tending to payday errands.

Having finished my latest hat,


I wanted to cast on another one with the colors reversed -- i.e. the body of the hat in the woodland, and the stripe in orange.  Alas, I just wasn't sure this would be enough yarn for that.


Since I had to run to Wal-mart anyway, I went to the yarn section to pick up another skein.  They didn't have the woodland camo, so I got this regular camo.


Between that and the orange, I ought to be able to make lots of hats in hunting colors.  Some of them may even end up being Christmas gifts...

On impulse, I picked up another skein of this Fall, as well.


 I knit Beverly a clapotis out of it several years ago, and it turned out really pretty.  And, I figured the Fallish colors would go well with the bright orange.  Or I may have some solid greens or reds that will match. 


Let's move on to something really exciting.  During the week, the last two records I'd ordered  arrived.


 This was definitely the one I remembered listening to in my childhood. 


Memories are weird things.  I remember the album cover because of the way he is holding his hand in the photo.  I remember his thumb sticking out, and as a child, wondered why he'd done that -- held his hand that way. 

I'm still visiting Ebay, but I think I may hold off ordering more records for a while.  Work is really slow right now, so we're not getting the overtime we'd usually be getting along about now.  I don't know for sure what's going on, just that sales are low.  I'm thinking the extreme cold up north might be affecting them.  That last cold snap, a week or so ago, it was colder in Chicago than in Antarctica.  I'm sure it'll pick up before it's all over, but for now, I need to be careful with my finances.

As many of you know, I've been writing letters lately.  I've sent several out, and I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to know that the one I sent without an envelope arrived safely.  I can now add Regency fold to my traditions. 

The other day, one of my friends posted how she'd been sick when my letter to her arrived.  I was almost embarrassed at her gushing effusiveness, but I was so glad she liked it.  I copped a few lines of her post to share with you here:

Better than any medicine, it truly lifted my spirits! Of course I will be replying, on paper! I don’t have wax or pretty stamps to seal it with, but I do have some stationary I bought a while back, just because it was so pretty! So, as soon as I find it, I’ll send a reply, and hopefully brighten her day as she did mine!!!
I’m telling you, texting & phone calls may be quicker and more convenient, but nothing beats an actual letter from a friend! Thank you, Becky! ❤️

I have been so enjoying reviving this old fashioned tradition.  It's even more fun when people write back!  Yep, I got one myself with a wax seal of its own!


Inside was a beautiful hand made card, and most of you will know who made it. 


And finally, I don't drink wine.  I never have, even though my job has made me consider taking up drinking on more than one occasion.  Still, when I saw these on clearance, I had to pick them up. 


As soon as I'm done here, I'm going to go make some hot chocolate or hot tea in one, and get busy knitting on this hat. 

Oh, and I've got a couple of letters to write, too....

Laters...
















No comments: