Thursday, February 22, 2024

Miscellany

Unless you've been under a rock, you'll no doubt know about the widespread AT&T outage today.  I didn't find out about it until I'd already gotten to work and needed to text Cody about something, but couldn't.  I saw that SOS at the top, and thought I'd somehow done something to accidentally lock myself out of my phone.  

Like a dummy, the first thing I did was to try to get online to google how to turn off, not realizing I had no internet access.  I mean, I'd played my morning Wordle and had checked the weather before I left for work, right?  Yeah, but that was when I was connected to my home internet -- not through AT&T. 

When that didn't work, I tried rebooting it a couple of times, then finally asked one of my younger, more tech savvy coworkers if she knew how to fix it.  

"Are you with AT&T?  It isn't just you.  They're out everywhere."  

Shortly after lunch, another coworker asked if my service was back, because hers had just come back on.  No, mine was still out.  When it came back up about 30 minutes later, I went over and told her.  She said, "We're just like a couple of teenagers.  We've got to have that phone."  I replied, "Yeah, but when we were teenagers, the phone was bolted to the wall!"  

Once I was able to get back online, that outage was pretty much all the talk.  But other than that, the rest of the day passed without incident....mostly.  One of my fellow brazers walked up to me and said, "That guy really is creepy.  I was watching him as I was coming out of the bathroom, and he was staring at you the whole time he was walking by.  That's scary."

But I think I'll save that and one day do an entire post about my various stalkers...For the record, I'm not afraid of Creepy Weirdo, or of my other Stalker for that matter.   I'm frustrated because I know I could put an end to the harassment today, but they are protected by the plant's idiotic zero tolerance policy, so I have to just stand there and put up with it.  

Right before the shift ended, Cody texted me and said they'd gotten me a ticket to that rock and mineral show down in Jackson.  That's what I had planned on texting him about anyway, only I was actually wanting to back out from going.  But when he mentioned they'd already bought me a ticket...I guess I'm going to a rock and mineral show.  

Later, after I got home, he texted again and asked if I had a fishing license, because he wants to go to the Ross Barnett reservoir after the show and do a little fishing.  It's been so long since I went fishing that when I went out to the shed to get my rod and tacklebox, they were filthy.  So filthy, I put the tacklebox into the shower with me and scrubbed it down when I scrubbed myself down.  Then I hopped online and renewed my fishing license, which I'd let lapse last fall. Now, I'm all ready to go to Jackson Saturday.  

Just not mentally...

Oh, we're off Saturday, too, so I can go.  I've heard we'll be working every other Saturday for a while to make up for the week long shutdown because of the ice storm.  I don't know if it's true, but that's just what I heard. I'm not complaining.  My bank account could use that little pick-me-up. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get off of here and start that last little section of my Emotional Support Chicken, so I'll just leave you with today’s ear worms: The Four Georges and Real Life Cowboys , both from Horrible Histories. 

And today's weird music announcement:  "Now serving # 205 at window 3."

Honestly, that guy is the only redeeming factor of them playing that weird music. 

No comments: