Friday, February 16, 2024

Hit The Fan

It’s about to hit the fan out at work, I’m telling you. And yep, Demi-god is once again at the center of it. 

But first, I need to set the stage. 

Over in the sub-brazing department we have a big long table -- which is really a length of conveyor — that the parts stagers put bins on to get our orders together.  Once the orders are complete, she moves them to the completed orders area, and that's where the brazers pick them up.  We all have a little rolling table we use to get our orders, but Demi-god strong.  Demi-god no need table.  Demi-god pick up big orders with hands and carry to station. 

The thing about that is, our bins are pretty old, and most of them have gotten raggedy over the years.  Some of them don't even have bottoms in them, just a piece of cardboard that's been put inside to keep the parts from falling out.  One of these days, he's going to pick up one of those raggedy bins and the bottom is going to drop out and I'm going to laugh my butt off. 

But that's not what this story is about.  

Once we've gotten all of our parts out of the bins, we stack them under the conveyor so 1) they're not in the way and not a trip hazard, and 2) the parts stager can reach them from her side of the conveyor.  Well, today, Demi-god just dropped an empty bin in the aisle (so to speak) beside the conveyor and left it there.  Parts Stager saw him and went and said something to him.  

I'm assuming she was telling him to pick the bin up and put it away where it's supposed to go, but when she walked away, he gave her the dirtiest, ugliest glare behind her back and kept on doing what he was doing.  

After he'd walked by the bin twice and still didn't pick it up, a certain brazer who may or may not have been me needed to go answer nature's call.  And on the way to avail herself of the facilities, that brazer who may or may not have been me dropped a little bug in Group Leader Shark's ear about the bin still in the floor and the dirty look directed at Parts Stager.  

She went over there and made him pick the bin up, but he was not happy about it.  One of the brazers who definitely was not me said, "I'll be he can't wait to go tell his daddy about that!"  I mean, how dare we make him pick up after himself like that!  How dare we expect him to act like an adult!  How dare we expect him to follow the same rules as us mere mortals.  Don't we know we're supposed to let him do whatever he wants?  Because don't we know who his daddy is?????

But that's the problem.  He's so used to getting his own way on second shift and nobody standing up to him that he doesn't quite know how to handle being told no every once in a while.  Heck, it's probably the first time in his life anyone has ever told him no.  He's having a hard time adjusting to the fact that none of us are intimidated by either him or his daddy.  I've had run-ins with his daddy before.  If you want, you can read about one of them here:  Smart Mouth.

In other work related news, the plant has started playing this weird techno pop funky music periodically throughout the day.  It's awful.  Someone said it was supposed to motivate and inspire us, but all it's doing is annoying everyone.  I haven't talked to anyone who likes it.  Not one single person.  

Seriously, people, if you want to motivate and inspire us, how about you solving some of these problems we've been complaining about for literally decades?  That would motivate me a whole lot more than playing  that awful sounding crap all the time. 

I hope they get over it, because we already are. 

And finally, I was good when I went to the store.  I only bought two little boxes of chocolates.

They had more half price chocolate, but I resisted.  Really, I just wanted to get out of there.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get something nutritious to eat.  Man shall not live by sugar alone, you know. 

Laters. 


No comments: