Friday, November 03, 2023

I Spent Too Much

I spent way too much money today, except that I didn't spend it all today.  Some of it I'd ordered from Amazon earlier this week, but it arrived today, so you get to hear about it today.  And just what did I order, you may ask? 

I'll tell you.  First up, bedside lamps for the kids' room.  

I've been needing to get some for a while now, but I haven't found any I really like.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not all that fond of these, but they were cheap, and they'll do for now.  And look, they have USB ports in the bases. 

Between those and the ones in the nightstands, any guests I might have ought to be able to charge everything they own.  

Next up, I'm sure you've heard of all those life hacks people like to post on the internet.  Most of them are rubbish, but every so often you run across one that really works.  This is one such hack.  What you do is find one of those dish washing brushes that you can fill the handle with soap and keep it in your shower.  Each time you take a shower, you scrub a little bit, and if you keep up with it, you never have to clean your shower. 

I'd been using one that just had a sponge on it, and it worked fine on the tiles, but didn't really get the grout clean.  I'd looked all over for one with the brush, but in the end, I had to order it from Amazon.  Small town life, you know.  

I can't wait to take a shower to see how it works.  

And the last thing that arrived in my Amazon box is....well, first a little back story.     

Every year I make myself a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, complete with turkey, sweet potato casserole, Stove Top Stuffing...the works.  The thing is, I don't like opening the oven door repeatedly to check the temperature on the meat thermometer.  So the other day, I had the brilliant idea that they ought to make a wireless digital thermometer that you can check the temperature on your phone.  

There I was, thinking I had a million dollar invention on my hands, when I went to Amazon and discovered it already existed.  Oh, well...Needless to say, I ordered myself one. 

They had some really fancy -- read: expensive -- ones, but I picked one of the simpler ones, since I'll probably only use it once or twice a year.  I'm thinking of getting one for Cody, because he likes to cook.  I'll kind of subtly ask how much meat he cooks, and ....Nah, subtlety isn't my thing.  I'll just flat out ask if he'd want one. 

That was all that was in my Amazon box.  Then I want to Walmart and spent way too much money there.  Well, my two biggest expenses were that I had to buy more Nasacort and Omeprazole and deer corn, but I still spent more than I should have besides those. 

The thing is, Ibotta is doing their free Thanksgiving dinner again, and to qualify, you have to redeem a certain number of offers before Nov 22.  So there I was in Walmart, redeeming offer after offer after offer, only to get home and discover that multiple redemptions of the same offer on the same receipt don't count.  Sigh...I really should have read the fine print before I went shopping.  But now, I've got enough mac & cheese to last for quite a while, along with five jars of Heinz Homestyle gravy.

By the way, if you've never tried this, it's really good for something that comes out of a jar, and you don't need any meat drippings to make it, like you do with regular gravy.  I've already eaten a whole jar -- not at once, I mean, but with mashed potatoes.  For some reason, I've been craving potatoes, so this gravy will be put to good use. 

The last thing I bought was a treat for the deer, because deer love apples.   


Or so I thought.  Apparently, my deer aren't normal deer.  I put out four apples, and they walked right past them to eat the corn.  Maybe they'll come back and eat them once it gets dark, but as of this writing, all four apples are still sitting there.  I'm sure some wild critter will eat them.    

I know one thin though, that wild critter won't be me.  I don't like apples.  Really.  I tried to eat one, and ended up spitting it out.  Which is really funny, because when I was pregnant with Cody, I craved apples, and they had to be golden delicious apples.  Oooh, they tasted so good, but the minute I gave birth, I couldn't eat them any more.  I tried, and ended up throwing a whole bunch of them away.  Every few years, I'll try to eat an apple to see if my tastes have changed, but nope.  Still don't like 'em.  

I'll eat applesauce, though, so that may be where these end up if the wild critters won't eat them. 

And finally, while I was at Walmart, I found an indoor safe propane heater, which I may go back and get for emergencies.  Just in case I don't find anyone who will sell me some firewood.  

2 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

It's hard to pick out good lamps now. Either they are cheap and look cheap, or they are cheap and expensive. And good ones are really pricey. It's so rediculous!

Your deer don't like the apples? Oooo, those are some spoiled deer!

Course, now I'm gonna ask you if you tried cutting one up and offering it to them? Do the apples have a smell? Maybe they aren't used to apples? Not all apples are created equal

Becky G said...

You're so right about the lamps! The ones I really want for that room have bases that look like tree trunks with a buck deer laying down beside it. (I'll try to find a photo and post it on tonight's blog). They're gorgeous, but a little out of my price range right now, what with how slow work has been this year. I'm hoping once things start picking back up a bit, I can get them eventually.

I'm confused too, about the deer. Everything I've read has said that deer love apples. I've tried cutting some up, and when they walked past those, I put some whole ones out. Maybe they're just not sure what they are. Most people around here only put out corn. It took them several weeks before they'd drink out of the water trough I put out, so I'm hoping they'll eventually start eating the apples.