Thursday, November 16, 2023

Dobby Is Free!

Dobby being me, of course.  

The rest of the plant has to work tomorrow, but thanks to judicious scheduling of my vacation days, I have it off.  I don't have to go back until November 27th.  My plans for the week are first and foremost...sleep!  Yep, I had another one of those insomnia nights again, when I only slept for about 4 hours  -- which is actually an improvement over the previous insomnia night.   At this point, it would seem I'm only destined to sleep every other night.  

Of course, if I could sleep when my body wanted to instead of being dictated by my work schedule...

But anyway...

The plant is going to feed everyone Thanksgiving dinner and pass out the gift cards to a local grocery store tomorrow, and I'd seriously thought about getting myself a plate when I ran by to pick up my card, but if it's the same food they served last year, I think I'll pass.  The only things I liked were the ham and mashed potatoes.  The rest I could do without.  

But, it's all moot because they let me pick up my gift card today, so a trip to the plant won't be necessary after all.  I'm not sure why I even got it.  I still have the card from last year, because I hate that grocery store so much.  Oh, it's not a bad store, but it's so crowded and cluttered all the time, it makes me tense just going in there.  I'm going to try to go early one morning, hoping it will be a bit calmer in there then.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

OK, now for some good news -- I hope.  I found a new ad for firewood on Facebook Marketplace, and have contacted the guy.  He got back with me pretty quickly, so that's a good sign.  After a bit of negotiating, he's going to deliver a load of wood tomorrow evening -- I hope.  I hate to sound like that, but I've been disappointed so many times already I've almost given up.  But more good news -- he's actually a shade cheaper than the last guy I was going to buy from.  Not a whole lot, but hey, in this economic climate, $25 is nothing to sneeze at.  And that is my Thanksvember Sixteenth:  that I'll finally find some firewood, which will take a load off my mind.   I know it doesn't seem like much, but back when my power was out for four days, that firewood kept me warm.   

Speaking of sneezing, I'm still trying to figure out Substack, but it's such a confusing site.  I thought I posted the link to yesterday's blog over there, but now I can't find that post for anything.   I must not have published it correctly or something.  I'll keep working at it, but right now, I'm not very hopeful it will be a viable alternative to the social media sites I currently use.  


And finally, after hemming and hawing and going back and forth about it for a while, I've decided not to go to Brennan's family's house for Thanksgiving.  I went last year, but that was different.  I drove up Wednesday and spent the night at Cody's apartment, but that isn't an option any more since they've moved to Jackson.  Bren's family lives on the other side of Memphis, so it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive, so there and back, I'd be spending 5 ish hours on the road.  I'd miss the parade, the ball games, the Egg Bowl...all of it.  That's not how I want to spend my Holiday.  

I'm still going to cook myself a good dinner, though.  No reason not to.  


*Not my photo

And I'll have leftovers for days.  

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

I'm reading through your blog posts backwards, but I wanted to say good for you for still wanting to make the meal. There's no pressure to get it done at a certain time, and that's nice. :-)

The big family meals have been so different for us these last few years. It's our third year where it's just the three of us and the whole vibe is so different when you aren't expecting company.