Monday, October 17, 2022

This’ll Be Quick

This is going to be a really quick post, because I’m so close to finishing this blanket, and all I want to do is knit on it and watch Outrageous Pumpkins. 


But I did want to tell you a story.  I broke my lawn mower a few weeks ago.  The little bar that you have to hold down to get the motor to start just snapped in half.  I tried to order a replacement part, but I guess my model has been discontinued, because the cheapest one I found was $65.  

I had the bright idea that I could just zip tie an old 14" Boye knitting needle to the two halves and maybe it would work well enough I could knock my grass down one last time before winter comes.  After work, I went out to the shed...

By the way, I've figured out the secret to getting stuff done after work. And that secret is...are you ready?  

Don't sit down. 

Seriously, don't sit down.  Do what you need to do as soon as you get home, before you sit down -- even to eat.  How many times have I said, "I'm only going to sit down for a moment, then I'll get up and do what I need to do" only to look up at the clock and it's almost time for bed and I haven't done a thing.  

So, today, as soon as I got home and fed the dog, I grabbed my shed keys and headed out to fix my lawn mower. Only to find one of the pieces of the bar thingy missing.  I know I'd laid it on the floor right beside the lawn mower, but it wasn't there.  I looked all over, and never did find it. Now, I don't know what to do.  I'm thinking of ordering one for a different Snapper 21" model, and hoping it will fit.  Or that I can make it fit.  

That project being a bust, I grabbed the old broom handle I had out there and cut a piece off the same length as the support tubes for my Rubbermaid cabinet.  And it fell all the way to the bottom.  For some reason, I'd thought there was a solid piece in there between the sections, but apparently there isn't.  

Giving up, I just left that one support tube out and finished putting the cabinet together without it.  Even with the part missing, it's surprisingly sturdy, so I think it'll be OK.  


Over the next few days, I'm going to start moving my tools from my craft room out into this cabinet.  Like my circular saw, belt sander, angle grinder, etc..  That'll free up a lot of space in that room, so maybe I can finally get it cleaned up again. 

They're still predicting upper 30s for tonight, and upper 20s for tomorrow night, so I went ahead and brought in all my plants.  I debated for a long time on whether to cut this flower from my front bed.  It's one of the few flowers I got this year.  


It's one of the few flowers I go from that bed this year. In the end, I decided to go ahead and bring it into the house, so the frost won't nip it. The few other flowers out there are on their own.



That north wind was so strong, it actually made my wind chime sing.  I managed to get just a bit of a video of it, but you might want to skip ahead to about 20 seconds in.  


Well, I guess this wasn't that quick after all, but I'm done now.  There is knitting to be done!

No comments: