Thursday, October 06, 2022

A Good Intrigue

As the old saying goes, I do so love a good intrigue.

I got to work bright and early this morning and the plant was all abuzz with the latest gossip.  Word is, they'd walked The Big Man Up Front out yesterday evening.  Now for those of you unfamiliar with the plant vernacular, to walk someone out means the person was fired. The one who told me said, "I don't know for sure.  That's just a rumor, and you know how the rumor mill is out here."  

A few minutes later, I saw one of the supervisors walking by, so I called out to him, "Hey Jeramy!  Is it true?"  He replied, "Yes, it's true!"  They didn't say why, but I always knew he wouldn't be out there very long.  Apparently, he didn't realize there is more to running a plant than complaining that the parts are stacked in the wrong place, and checking the garbage cans for candy wrappers and Coke bottles.  Word also is, they let our supervisor go, too.  I don't know about that one, because someone else said he's just on vacation and will be back Monday.  I guess we'll find out next week. 

After that, the work day proceeded as usual...until Group Leader Shark came around and told us all to go home at 8:00.  She didn't say why, but someone told me the air compressors are messed up, and since everything out there runs on pneumatic pressure, none of the machines would run.  We couldn't do anything productive, so the powers that be decided to send everyone home for the day.  At least, I hope that's what it is.  I remember the last recession, during which we worked 32 hour weeks for at least part of the year for nine years.  I don't think I can go through that again.  

So, what did I do on my unexpected day off?  Well, the first thing I did was to get my plumbing fixed!  Yep, about an hour after I got home, the plumber showed up and replaced about a four foot long section of PVC that had collapsed. 

For reference, here is the before photo.  If you look carefully, you can see about an inch wide gap between the two pipes. 

It would seem the first plumber -- the one who'd replaced that sewer line back in 2015 -- hadn't replaced all the sewer line.  He'd left a little bit of the old thin wall, which had collapsed cracked.  That's how the mud was getting in and causing everything to back up/overflow.  It has now been replaced with quality stuff, and I shouldn't have any more trouble out of it.  Best of all, I have a yard without a giant hole in it!

Oh, I'm sure that dirt will compress some the next time it rains, but I will eventually be able to build it up and level it out.  

I think once my savings account has recovered from all the spending I've been doing lately, I'll get a load of fill dirt delivered and take care of these low spots all over the yard.  

Once that was taken care of and the plumber had gone to his next job, I spent the rest of the day watching TV, adding squares to my blanket, and thinking of all the stuff I should be doing instead of sitting there watching TV and adding squares to my blanket, but wasn't doing because I was sitting there watching TV and adding squares to my blanket. 

Speaking of the blanket, I'm so close to being finished, I can almost taste it. I'd decided to make it about the same size as this throw. 


I'm thinking probably just two more full rows, and I can call this one complete.  

Last night, I was so tired, I went to bed at 7:00.  I'm thinking I might just do to bed that early tonight, too.  But first, I'm going to take a nice, long, long hot shower and not worry one whit about overflowing my sewer.  

Laters.  

No comments: