Friday, February 04, 2022

Baby It's Cold

 I don't think it got above freezing today.  The good news is, we didn't get the ice buildup they were predicting.  The roads were clear, so I went on in to work, even though I'd have rather stayed in bed.  But, I didn't get the cat in last night, even though I called and called.  

I moved her little Styrofoam shelter into the car port, so it doesn't fill up with water every time it rains, and I moved her little cat bed into it.  At least she has the opportunity to get into it if she wants to.  

The not so good news is, they still didn't have any peat moss at Walmart, so naturally I did what any red blooded American would do.  I got onto Amazon and ordered some.  Right there in the garden center of Walmart.  

So there.  

Since a good deal of the country is gripped by cold, I thought I'd show you some photos I took when we were in Texas.  

 Cody, Brennan, and I had planned on going down to Sea Rim State park, mainly because I hadn't been to the beach since that last vacation with my dad in 1995.  

I was talking about it the morning we went, and James spoke up and offered to drive us down in his truck.  He said it would be easier to drive on the sand in it than in my little car, and less likely to get stuck.  However, when we got down there, the beach was closed to vehicular traffic anyway, so it didn't even matter.  

The only downside to the trip was the Portuguese Man-O-Wars were everywhere.  And I do mean everywhere.  

There are 6 of them, just in this one photo.  That's how thick they were.  Brennan almost tried to pick one up, until James said, "Don't touch it!!  That thing will sting you!"  

I'd taken off my shoes -- because you can't walk on a beach with shoes on -- but  after I quick dip in the water, I put them back on,  

wet, sandy feet and all.  As much as I love walking barefoot on the beach, I didn't want to risk getting stung.  On the other hand, it would have been hilarious to see Brennan's face if I did get stung and started hollering, "PEE ON IT!  Somebody pee on it!"  That might just have made a sting worth it. 

Apparently, the were washing up all over the Gulf Coast, because my friend who lives in Florida posted about them as well. 

Man-O-Wars notwithstanding, we had a lovely time just walking down the beach, collecting shells, and  enjoying the day.  

It was a great way to start the new year.


That's about all I have for today, so let me just leave you with this:  


No comments: