Saturday, February 12, 2022

A Bust

Wonder of wonders, we did get today off!  I just wish they would have told us one way or the other, so we wouldn't have spent the entire day wondering.  Finally, it was quitting time, and we were all asking, "Did they say anything about tomorrow?"  We pretty much unilaterally came to the conclusion that since they hadn't told us to come in, then we weren't going to.

I told my coworker, "The first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is sleep until I wake up!"  Now, I know some of y'all might not think of 5:30 on a Saturday morning as sleeping in, but trust me, when you've been getting up at 2:45, it felt absolutely wonderful! Even after I woke up, I laid there in bed, just enjoying being able to lay there in bed as long as I wanted to.  

What else did I do on my day off?  Well, after savoring a cup of coffee, I decided to make sourdough pancakes.  My sister had sent me a sourdough starter several years ago -- just the dry ingredients-- and I'd never mixed it up.  Last fall, I found it still in my cabinet, and decided I'd start it, with the intention of making sourdough bread.  I'd just never done it.  

Last night, I found the card that came with the mix still on my refrigerator where I'd put it, and was reading about how to refresh the starter, when I turned the card over, and lo and behold, there was a flapjack recipe on the back.

"Oh, I've got to make this!"  In retrospect, I probably should have refreshed the starter, then waited an extra day to make the pancakes, but you know me.  I can't wait on things like that.  The recipe said to mix up the starter, flour, and warm water and let it set over night.  I did that, then made the pancakes this morning.  

Just FYI, If you don't have a griddle, and you want to make more than one pancake at a time, get you a griddle. I'm telling you, I did an entire load of laundry -- including drying it -- in the time it took me to cook all those pancakes.  But I've got a ton of them in the freezer for later, and my sourdough starter has been refreshed.  I think I might make biscuits next. 

Once I'd finally finished making all those pancakes, the big project for the day was to go up to Lowe's and get some sphagnum moss and repot Marty Mac.  I checked the app  before I went, and they had some plain, unfertilized sphagnum in stock -- or so I thought.  I drove all the way up there, and nope...they didn't have any in stock.  The only plain sphagnum they had was in a huge bag.  I told the employee I had asked about it, "I don't need that much!"  

She said, "I thought that's what you had on your phone."  I replied, 'It is, I just didn't know it would be that big."  I briefly debated on getting it anyway, but decided against it. So that whole trip was a bust. 

On the way home, I had an idea.  Maybe I could look online and see if there was potting mix already made up for carnivorous plants.  When I got home, that's exactly what I did.  I found some, and not too expensive, either.  It'll be here Thursday.  

While I was at it, I ordered a mix formulated for succulents.  I'm going to repot my Christmas cactus into that, and see if they do better than in just regular potting soil.  Maybe if I pay more attention to these kinds of things, I might be able to keep some of these plants alive.  

By the time I got home, the temperature had dropped enough for me to start a little fire in the wood stove.  We got a few minutes of snow flurries mixed with sleet, but mostly it's just cold.  The only other thing I've done is to finally cake up that skein of yarn.  Since I still haven't decided what to do with it, I went ahead and put a new square into my blanket. 


I'll figure out which socks to knit later.  




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a morning near the end of my basic training cycle at Fort Jackson: we were elated at the news that we were going to get to sleep in until 6:00.