Sunday, November 21, 2021

I Am Finished

 Yesterday morning, I woke up to the first frost of the season. 

I walked around the yard a bit, taking some photos and taking stock of what survived and what didn't.  My lantanas and zinnias are pretty much shot for the year, as are the canna lilies.  I was kind of hoping the frost would kill the weeds in my little bluebonnet bed, but it appears they're hardier than I thought.  I'm sure they'll die off eventually, but in the meantime, I'm keeping them cleared away around my one lonely bluebonnet I have in that bed.  

It's looking pretty strong, and I hope to have some good blooms come spring.  

It was a beautiful day outside, but never quite warmed up enough to keep the doors open.  Still, it was a good day to sit in front of the fire, knitting and watching football.  Which is exactly what I did.


In between bouts of frantic house cleaning, that is.  Cody texted me and asked if it was OK for them to come down Wednesday and spend the night, then go home Thursday evening, because they both have to work Friday.  Of course I said, "Of Course!"  That means I have to clean up Cody's bedroom now, but that won't be too much of a problem.  I just have to stuff all my Christmas wrapping paper back into the closet and vacuum.  Other than that, I'm finished with the annual holiday house cleaning, other than normal house cleaning stuff like sweeping, dusting, etc., that is. Today, I got into the kitchen and cleaned my counters off really well.  


Every house has that one catch-all surface where everything tends to get set down.  This is mine.   The trick will now be keeping it clean until Thursday.  Oh, and I have to go back to the store, as I forgot one vital ingredient for my strawberry jello salad.  The plan is to run by the grocery store after my eye appointment Tuesday, since it's just up the road a piece.  I only hope I remember to do it!  

Speaking of knitting, which I did earlier in this post, this is the hat I was working on yesterday.  


I like the way the stripes are knitting up, but have decided I'm not that big a fan of Caron Simply Soft.  It's very splitty, and I've found two knots just in the little bit I've used to knit this much of the hat.  I almost --almost-- ripped it all back out, but I didn't.  I'm going to go ahead and finish the hat and probably donate it to some charity hat drive.  Next time I get wind of one. 

And finally, I mentioned to Cody that while they were here, he needed to drive Brennan down to the square, since they've decorated it up so much this year.  I told him we're have a regular tree lighting ceremony on Dec 4th, just like in a Hallmark movie.   He said, "We might come down for that, too."

But don't expect me to keep the house clean that long...I just don't see it happening. 

1 comment:

Otter said...

No mad cleaning here. No one but hubby and I. Though I do need to clear off the table. He mopped downstairs and I vacuumed upstairs yesterday. So I guess that is our big clean...that and swabbing out the toilets.
I love the roses with frost on them. No freeze down here yet. Cold front is blowing in this evening, but it only blew off the humidity and made it pleasant.