Saturday, November 21, 2020

It's Beginning To Look

 It's beginning to look...well, a little like Christmas. 

Because I did whatever it was I did to my hip yesterday, I decided this would be a good day to take it easy for a while.  It was hurting pretty badly when I went to bed, and every time I turned over, it was excruciating.  It didn't hurt when I was laying still, but if I tried to roll over...hoh, boy!  Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well.  

After icing it down a couple of times, and basically just sitting around all day, it feels much better this evening, even though it's still pretty sore.  But what does all this have to do with Christmas?  Not much, actually.  But this does...


And so does this:  


Those gifts are for Cody, and they're the only shopping I've done so far.  One of them arrived by FedEx late yesterday evening.  I opened the package, what I saw inside was pink and fuzzy.  Wait, that's not what I ordered!  

I'll admit my first thought was that someone had sent me a gift, but when I checked the shipping label...nope.  It wasn't my package.  No worries, the address was just up the way a piece.  I'd just drive it down to her and apologize for opening it.  About the time I got into my kitchen to head out the door, I saw the FedEx van pull back into my driveway.  He'd discovered his mistake and came back to bring me the correct package.   I apologized for opening the one I'd gotten first, he said "It's OK", we swapped envelopes, and I didn't have to leave the house after all.  I guess all's well that ends well, huh?  

The rest of the day was spent watching football and making fruitcakes, using my Dad's recipe. 


When I was growing up, we always made our fruitcakes the day after Thanksgiving.  Because you have to let them ripen for at least two weeks, once I was grown, I started making them the weekend after my birthday.  Which was last weekend, but as I'd mentioned ...um...last weekend, Walmart was out of fruitcake mix.  However, I found some yesterday, and the show went on after all. 

I decided to do mini loaves this time, because as I said yesterday, I'm the only one who really likes them.  The recipe actually made nine, but I'd already started wrapping them up when I thought, "Gee, I ought to take a picture before I get all of these wrapped and put away."  I wasn't about to unwrap the ones I'd already done -- they all look alike anyway --so you only get a photo of six of them.  

Anyway, they're all safely wrapped and tucked away under the cabinet.  Once they ripen, I'll vacuum seal and freeze most of them.  I ought to be set for a few years. 

Now, if you will excuse me, Bedlam is fixing to start, so I'll just leave you with this photo of the first quarter moon, taken about an hour ago.  


Goodnight!




No comments: