Friday, August 30, 2019

Really Long Weekend

Before I get into today's post, I feel I owe it to my coworker to clarify her question.  Remember the one who asked if there were boy and girl horses?  Yeah...that one.  Now, she knows good and well there are male and female animals, and that you need one of each to make a baby animal.  Well, after she asked her initial question, and I'd dissolved into laughter,  she said, "No, but what I mean is..."

Turns out, she was really asking about the terminology.  In other words, she wanted to know if there is a different word for male horses and female horses.  It all stemmed from a conversation she'd had a few years ago about bulls.  She'd thought a bull was a species of animal, and not the term for a male of certain species.  She may have grown up in a small Mississippi town, but a country girl she is not.

And now, on to your regularly scheduled blog post.

I woke up yesterday, as is my custom, and went to work, as is also my custom.  However, when I stepped outside to put my things into my car, I said to myself, "Self, it's a bit nippy out here!"  I came back inside and checked the temps on my weather app.


65' in August???  What is this sorcery?

The good news is, nobody hates Port Isaac any more.  We are also not envious of Fairbanks.  Farmer's Almanac is predicting another brutally cold and snowy winter this year.  I'm not sure how they figure it, but they're usually more accurate than NOAA.  Also, I've already seen a solid black woolly bear, so there is that.   Now I'm watching the deer to see how soon they turn gray.  They say if the deer are gray by the end of October, it'll be an especially cold winter.

It was even cooler this morning.


Since I have the day off for our long weekend, I was able to leave the back door open and let some fresh air into the house -- for a little while at least.  I closed it when I had to get the dogs back into the house so I could go do my shopping.

I noticed yesterday there were more birds at my feeders than usual.  It would seem annual migration has begun, so I picked up an extra bag of bird seed while I was in town.


I also got another bag of deer corn, and some suet cakes.   I'm probably going to hang my other bird feeder back up, too, just for migration.  Well, I'll see if the squirrels will leave it alone, now that they've got their own food.  If they do, I'll leave it up.

Oh, and I saw my yearling bucks a couple of days ago.  One of them is going to be a 4 point, but the other one has seven (!) points on his antlers.  Maybe one day, I can get a picture of them.

The only other thing I did was to turn my piano back around.


What with football season starting up, I didn't want to have my back to the TV.   This way, I can practice my music while watching the games.  I'll have to come up with some sort of lighting for that corner, but I think it's going to be much better this way.

One thing I these instruments have taught me is I desperately need new glasses.  Here I am, trying to learn to play, and I can't even see the music!  If we have next Friday off, I'm going to go up to the optometrist at Walmart.  They take walk ins, so I don't have to make that dreaded phone call.

That's about it for now.  I don't have to go back to work until Tuesday.  I plan on spending the rest of the weekend watching football, knitting, practicing my music, and keeping an eye on Dorian.  I said a week ago he'd be one to watch.  Now they're predicting he'll make landfall as a Cat 4.

The only question left is, has anybody seen Jim?


No comments: