Friday, July 07, 2023

Out Of My System

Well, I finally did it. 

I went up to Lowe's and got that out of my system.  I'd intended to take a picture while I was there, just to prove it, and I was even thinking about it as I pulled into the parking lot, but alas, by the time I stopped the car and got out, that idea had already vacated my mind.  

But I'm sure you all know what the Lowe's sign looks like. 

Believe it or not, I actually made a purchase while I was there.  But first, the back story. 

A couple of years ago, when the county was re-surfacing my road, I came home one day to find that one of their heavy machines had hit my mailbox and broken the post. 


I'm not sure what they hit it with, but it had to be substantial to snap a 4X4 post like that.  I got up the next morning to find that they had replaced it with one of these Rubbermaid mailboxes. 


I don't think it was a brand new mailbox, though, because one side of it wasn't seated properly in the space where it was supposed to fit, and the door never stayed closed.  It even got knocked off one time and someone ran over it, so I'd had to replace it.  Then I drove some nails into the side of the box to try to hold it into place better, and it worked...for a while. 

About a month ago, I noticed that the door was once again falling open, and that side of the box was once again gaping.  It's been two years.  It's time to replace it.  I'd already looked on Amazon and Walmart, but didn't really find anything I wanted to buy.  I mean, this is one of those purchases I want to actually see what I'm getting before I buy it. 

Today, while at Lowe's, I did just that.   I looked at their mailbox options and chose one that I liked. 

I got one without the newspaper slot, because I haven't taken the paper in years.  I think what is left of the post that's already there will be enough to hold it for a while, but I probably will get someone to set me a new one.  I have some 4x4s that I think might be long enough -- it has to be at least 5'-- I just don't want to do the digging.  The problem is, I can't really afford to hire anyone, not at the prices folks around here want.  And if I do, he'll probably just ghost me like everyone else has. 

Oh well, I'll figure something out. 

Also, I came thisclose to buying some Black-eyed Susans while I was there, at Lowe's I mean, but backed out.  I love seeing them grow wild along the roadsides, and would love to plant some behind the fence and let them naturalize.  Knowing me, though, I'd kill them.  Although my herbs are doing well.

Which reminds me, I've got to start doing something with them.  I'd gotten ones that I thought would make good herb teas, but right now it's just too hot.  I want to dry them and save them for when it cools off.  I don't know how hardy these are, since this is my first year growing herbs.  I know the spearmint outside my back door dies off after the first frost, but comes back in the spring.  I'm kind of thinking these might do the same thing.  I want to try to rig up some sort of greenhouse type cover that I can put over them to help protect them from frost.  

By the way, I am still practicing my piano, but I've kind of lost my mojo.  I'm mostly working on learning the scales right now.  I can do one octave in C Major, E Major, and G Major just fine, both in parallel and contrary motion.  It's when I try to do two octaves that I mess up.  I've been trying for a while, but I always end up messing up.  

I've also decided to try to memorize some songs.  It used to be so easy, but my memory ain't what it used to be.  I keep saying I'm going to record a few more songs for you, but my recording mojo has gone the way of my practicing mojo.

If you see either of them, please send them home.  They're probably out there stirring up trouble somewhere. 

No comments: