Saturday, July 22, 2023

Lazy Saturday

 I said I wasn't going to do anything today, and that's exactly what I didn't do -- anything.  Well, nothing major, at least.  I did watch a lot of TV and finished two headbands.


The color in the photo isn't quite true; they're a pretty bright yellow.  I've been having trouble with my phone camera's flash option.  When it's in autoflash, it won't flash at all.  Not even in a completely dark room.  I have to manually turn the flash on every time.  

But I digress...

After finishing those, I dug out all the headbands I've finished so far, and laid them out for a photo. 


These are so easy to make, I need to find some place to donate them.  Or maybe I could knit a bunch and set up a booth at the Farmer's Market next summer.  These ones are to take to work to mollify those coworkers of mine who pitched such a fit over not getting a hat last winter.  I need to see if I have any more variegated yarn anywhere in my stash.  I think I'm down to just solid colors now -- mostly shades of blue.  

In other news, I found a couple of my lemon balm leaves had fallen off of the bunch I'd hung a few days ago, so I checked to see how dry they are. I think they're dry enough to crumble, and I had planned on doing that very thing this afternoon, only I had the bright idea to go all the way old school.  Instead of crumbling the leaves with my hands, I'd crush them with a mortar and pestle.  

First thing I did was to open the Walmart app to see if the local store would have any, but they didn't, so I did what any red blooded American would do.  I jumped onto Amazon and ordered one.  It's supposed to be here Tuesday, and now I have my Tuesday afternoon project all lined up already.  

Speaking of Amazon, did you know they deliver on Sundays now?  Yep, I've gotten two deliveries on Sunday now.  I'm going to have to be more careful when choosing my delivery day from here on out. 

Oh, and while I was there, I found my nephew and his fiancé's registry and ordered them a wedding gift.  I'd originally planned on getting something locally and taking it to Missouri with me next month, but then I got to thinking they'd have to find a way to transport all their gifts.  It will be much easier for them to just ship something to their house. Or Nate's apartment, rather.  

One of the things I'd planned on doing was to cut back all this spearmint that is taking over my yard.  


However, when I went outside to do it, I found so many butterflies and bees on the flowers, I changed my mind. 


Until I got these plants, I didn't even know mint bloomed.  Just shows you're never too old to learn something new. 

Oh, and I've been meaning to show you this.  These elephant ears that I've been trying to kill since I moved into this house have come back again. 


I guess I'll just let them live, especially since they are edible.  I mean, I knew that before, but you have to prepare them just right or they're toxic*, so I don't usually fool with them.   Still, with the way things are going, I might as well hedge my bets a bit.  

I guess that's about it for today, unless you want to hear about how I cleaned the cat pan.  And I don't just mean I scooped it. I mean, I dumped out all of the old litter, scraped the stuck bits off the bottom of the pan, and washed it really well.  While the pan was drying, I swept up all the litter that had been kicked all over the laundry room floor and mopped.  Then I brought the pan back inside and refilled it with fresh, new, litter.  

Don't envy me my exciting life.  

But hey, you're the one who just read all that. 

*Technically Taro isn't toxic, but it's so acidic that most people can't eat it unless it's cooked and rinsed really well to wash all that acid out. 

No comments: