Thursday, July 06, 2023

Made Up

It all started when I decided to make it up to the cat for locking her in the shed by letting her sleep in the bed with me last night.  Somewhere along about 2:00 AM, she decided to gak up a hairball. I am here to tell you with God as my witness that nothing wakes you from a deep sleep faster than the sound of an animal vomiting.  Fortunately, I was able to grab her and hold her over the side of the bed so that the hairball landed on the floor, and not on the sheets.  Unfortunately, every time she moved after that, I woke up thinking she was about to puke again.  

Finally, somewhere in the 3:00 AM hour, I gave up and shut her out of the bedroom.  And that, Gentle Reader, is how my day began.  

I spent a relatively leisurely morning, thinking I ought to go up to Lowe's, but I didn't actually do that.  I don't know why I'm so fixated on going to Lowe's this week.  I don't really need anything from there.  Maybe I'll just go to get out of the house a bit.  Although why I'd want to do that is beyond me.  

What I did instead is go to Walmart and get my weekly shopping done.  I need to mail this Jayne hat to Cody so he can take it to Henry, but I had a little room in the box, so I wanted to pick them up a little something I saw in the store.  They have these heavy plastic drinking glasses -- it sounds weird to call them glasses when they're made of plastic -- that say Grenada Mississippi on them.  I thought they'd like to have some, since they had so many types of drinkware listed in their registry.  All that to say, I went into town and did my shopping. 

I'll have to go back tomorrow to pay a couple of bills, then mail that box, so I may go on up to Lowe's after that and get it out of my system.  

That brings us to today's project: power washing my back porch.  It needed it too, I'm telling you.  Here is the before: 


And here is the after:


Then I took this rotten landscape timber out, 


and replaced it with a piece of 4X4.  


I'll be replacing the rest of those rotten timbers eventually, but it didn't happen today.  By the time I was done with what I did do, I was ready to come inside and cool off a bit --which only lasted until I decided to finish the mowing.  Honestly, it wasn't that hot, only 89°, but man that humidity is what did me in.  I was drenched, I'm telling you.  Drenched in sweat.  

Trust me, when they tell you it's not the heat, it's the humidity, they aren't kidding!  

At least I was able to mark one more item off my to-do list for this week:
 

And I got the mowing done so I don't have that chore hanging over my head for the rest of the weekend.  I guess today made up for all those lazy days, huh?  

What I will have hanging over my head is some gumbo.  Why oh why did I thaw out gumbo in JULY????  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I don't even want to eat it because it's so hot out.  What was I thinking?

But now I have to eat it because I can't afford to waste food in this economy.  I guess I'd better get to it then...

P.S. One day I hope to have a real patio outside my back door, but for now, those bricks will have to do.  

No comments: