Saturday, July 08, 2023

Farmer’s Market

After spending the last six Saturdays saying I was going to get up and go got the farmer’s market on the square, then not doing it, guess where I went this morning.

If you said the farmer’s market, congratulations!  You win!  You don't get a prize, other than the satisfaction of knowing you were right, but still.  

Yep, I finally made it up there.  Naturally, my first stop was the Little Free Library, but there wasn't anything in it I particularly wanted to read.  


So I moved on to the Bost Farms vegetable wagon, but alas, I was too late to get any of the cantaloupes.  


I love a good cantaloupe, but the ones you get at Walmart just aren't it. Even so, our little Farmer's Market is growing, with a few new vendors this year, and it's not all food, either.  


There were people selling baskets, and little sewn ...things... and birdhouses.  I even saw one lady there with crocheted stuff, mostly dishcloths and a few hats, and I thought briefly that maybe I could set up a table and sell some of my hats.  I dismissed that idea as quickly as it popped into my head.  My knitting is not for sale.  

I didn't stay very long, but I did buy a few things.  


I got the last pack of TT's tea cakes, so as hot as it was, I made some tea to dunk them into.  I tried rosemary and lemon balm, and it turned out pretty good.  Next time, I'm going to use more herbs to make it a bit stronger, but it was all right.  

I also got some fresh tomatoes for 'mater sandwiches-- which is much more appropriate for July than gumbo.  Yes, I've already had one.  I've still got a little big of gumbo to eat up, but after that, it's 'mater sandwiches all the way.  The Salsa is for Cody and Brennan, and will probably be part of their Christmas.  

By the way, the vegetable wagon did have a few pattypan squash, but not enough to do anything with, so I didn't get them.  Maybe next week I'll get moving a bit earlier and get there in time to get me some.  My Aunt Martha had the best squash pie recipe that used pattypan, but it's so hard to find in stores.  

This afternoon, I was able to cross off the last item on my to do list.  OK, OK, the second to last item, but we all knew I wasn't going to make that phone call to the surveyor anyway.  

I got into my pantry and sorted all of my non-perishables.

I did not realize I had that many boxes of Velveeta shells & cheese.  It's often on ibotta, so I tend to stock up when I can.  Nevertheless, it's all sorted and arranged by expiration date, with the older stuff in the front so it can be used up first.  

Most of it is soup.  I see a lot of soup eating in my near future. 

What I didn't get around to doing was getting my new mailbox set up.  I had an epiphany sometime in the middle of the night, which is going to make things a whole lot easier.  See, I'd been dreading digging the hole for the post, but I realized there is already a hole there.  The hole the current post sits it.  If I can somehow get the current post out, it shouldn't be too hard to get a new post in the same hole.  

I'm sure somewhere in this pile of landscape timbers and 4x4s is one that will be long enough for me to use. 


Eh, I need to get all that mess cleaned up anyway, so the Fence Guys can do what they need to do.  I might get me a fire pit this fall when they go on clearance and burn the rest of it.  It'd be much nicer with a proper patio, but we do what we can with what we have. 

And finally, I finished yes another hat. 


As soon as I get off of here, I'm going to cast on another Jayne hat.  Maybe I'll get to keep this one.  

I've finished watching Firefly on DVD, so now I'm watching season one of  Doctor Who.  New Who, not classic Who.  Ninth Doctor.  Christopher Eccleston.  Back when the show was still good.  I'd bought it years and years ago, and didn't realize until today I'd never even opened it.  

I reckon I'd better work on getting the Tenth Doctor DVDs next, since I've dropped all of the streaming services it's available on.  

Laters. 

No comments: