Wednesday, March 15, 2023

I Did Another Thing

I did another thing today. I’d better be careful or this thing-doing might become a thing.  

So, what is this thing I did today?  Well, I'll tell you. 

I was just sitting there, not doing things.  Not planning on doing things, when all of the sudden I said to myself, "I think I'll get dressed, go down to Walmart and wander through the garden center."  And that's the thing I did. 

They didn't have much out yet, but it is still very early in the season.  All I came home with was five bags of top soil.  

The first thing I did was to top off this spot where I had my sewer line replaced last fall. 


Now that my sewer line is finally fixed right, and I'm no longer washing all my dirt down the drain, I can finally begin to fill in that canyon in my yard.  Of course, I didn't realize it was the plumbing that was the problem until I dug it up, or I would have had someone fix it long ago.  I was blaming the voles, or whatever it is that is digging tunnels in my yard.  In fact, just a few days before all my plumbing woes started last year, I was fussing at the cat, telling her she needed to hurry up and kill the things so I could get this sinkhole filled in.  Turns out it wasn't the little rodents after all, so the cat is off the hook.

I then put some dirt in this low spot where water tends to collect every time it rains, 

and the rest I put where I tried to dig the sewer line up where it had collapsed the first time, wondering if it had broken there again.   

And the last little bit I scattered over the old septic tank.  The first plumber had filled it in with chunks of concrete, but didn't fill in the spaces between the chunks.  Every year, I add more dirt and when it rains, it sinks down and fills in those spaces.  Eventually it'll get filled up.  I hope.  

Full disclosure, this was actually on my list of things to do this week.  It's just one of those things I didn't really expect to get done, so I can cross one more off. 

While I was outside, I went ahead and started moving some of these daffodils. 

That's something I'd been planning on doing for years, but had never gotten around to it.  I only moved these two for now.  

Because I was getting hot and tired.   I put them out by the back fence, where it has better drainage.  I'll eventually get the rest moved there, too.  Heck, I may even do some more tomorrow.  Since I don't plan on doing any more things.  Nothing that requires leaving the house, that is. 

In the meantime, I'm still sorting the junk that came off of my desk and out of the drawer.  I'm down to this one box left. 


But let me tell you, oh the junk I found!  Like this, do you know what these are? 

They are expired credit/debit cards -- some dating all the way back to 2011.  Back in the day, I'd stuck them in the drawer to "deal with later" and just never did.  Now they have been dealt with and are gone for good. 

Then there are these batteries for a camera I used to have that died 15 years ago. 


I'd kept them, just in case I ever got another camera that used those kind of batteries.  They're now disposed of, too.  

And look at this!  Three staplers.  Three!  Why on earth do I need three staplers?  


I'll keep one, and put the other two into the give-away box -- which is getting quite full, by the way.  I'll need to find a bigger box soon. 

Would you believe, some of these markers are 20 years old?  And would you further believe, they still work?  I mean, there were quite a few markers and pens that no longer worked, but I was surprised at how many did still work.  

And oh, the pens and pencils I had in there!  I've still got tons of them, even after I put these aside to take to my friend for her grandson who is still in school.  


Now this here is a real treasure.  It's the little Gideon New Testament I got in Navy Boot Camp.


I'd brought my own Bible, but as we only had a space about the size of a shoebox for our personal items, it just didn't fit.  I had to send it back home, but they had these little Testaments there for anyone who wanted one.  

I also got one in 5th grade, but it was red, and I'm pretty sure that one got ruined in Hurricane Ike.  

And with that, I think I'm done with thing-doing for today.  Time to knit and watch some more Time Team

Laters. 

No comments: