Sunday, October 16, 2022

Winter Weather

It’s a good thing I’m almost through with my sock yarn blanket.


Why do I say that?  Because it looks like winter is trying to make an early appearance. Check out the lows Wednesday!  
 

Of course, I don't expect it to actually get quite that cold, but I think I’ll have to bring in my outside plants tomorrow afternoon, just to be on the safe side.  Heck, I might even start me a little fire in my wood stove. I probably won't turn on the central heat just yet, though.  Or maybe I will.  It all depends on how cold it gets in the house.  

By the way, I don't know why that picture posted upside down, but I do know I'm not going to re-do it, so you'll just have to turn your device upside down, or stand on your head.  Whatever floats your boat. 

As far as the blanket goes, I have two more squares to go to finish the row I'm on, then I'm going to knit one more row, and it'll be done.  Well, as far as knitting goes, that is.  I'll still have to weave the last few ends in, and decide if I want to do some sort of border.  I'm thinking an applied I-cord, probably in a solid color medium brown, just to neaten up the edges a bit.  I'd originally planned on using black, but I think that might be a bit too harsh.  Brown will tidy things up without dominating the other colors within the blanket. 

On a completely unrelated note, I started watching the new Quantum Leap.  It took me a long time to watch the first episode, because I'd loved the original show so much, and didn't think I'd like the re-boot.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  It wasn't just a re-hash of the first show, but picked up sometime after the first one left off.  The characters often refer to Dr. Sam Beckett and Al, and events that had happened in the old show.  Ziggy is still there, too, just in an upgraded version.  All in all, I'm really liking it so far. 

Now, lest you think I've done nothing but sit around and knit all weekend, let me show you the progress I'm making on getting my cannas dug up. 


When I started, the patch was all the way to that gate.  I've still got quite a ways to go, but dang I've already dug up so many bulbs!


Once I get them all dug up, I'm going to put several layers of weed barrier cloth down in that spot, with a few layers of cardboard over that.  That should keep any bulbs I've missed from growing back.  I hope. 

I've also finally started moving that old fire pit behind the fence. 


Again, I'm only doing a little bit at a time, because those cement chunks are heavy!  I'd thought about re-purposing them into a new flower bed, but I don't know.  Right now, I'm just stacking them here beside the fence until I decide what to do with it all. 


I'm telling ya, the people who lived here before apparently just tossed all their garbage over the back fence.  I've already cleaned up tons and tons (not literally) of junk, and am still finding stuff back there.  Like this...whatever it is. 


And what appears to be an old scrub brush half buried in the dirt.  


Every time I think I get all the junk up, I find more.  

And last but not least, y'all all help me wish my big brother Russell a happy 60th birthday!



No comments: