Sunday, October 02, 2022

Picnics and Birthdays

Can you believe it?  My company has been in business for 30 years.  Given their business models and terrible treatment of the employees, I never thought they'd make it this long.  But they have.

To celebrate, they had a big picnic out at the lake.  They had food and games, and prizes and entertainment and all.  I got so excited when they put up the flyers because they were going to have an ax throwing station.  Ax throwing!  I spent two months practicing throwing axes. Boy, I couldn't wait to get to that picnic and that was the first place I headed.  

I was so disappointed.  It wasn't real axes.  It was beanbags with handles.  Still, we played and I think Brennan smoked us all. 


 They had one of those things where you could make spin art -- you know, where the paper spins around really fast and you squirt paint onto it.  

Probably the biggest hit was the petting zoo.  

The biggest hit wasn't the food, that's for sure.  Oh, it wasn't bad food, but it wasn't spectacular, either.  It was just hamburgers and hot dogs, or chicken sandwiches.  I was looking forward to the pulled pork and ribs they'd had at the last picnic.  Now that was some good eating right there.  

I took lots more pictures than this, but I won't post them all here.  I'll make albums on both my Facebook page and my MeWe page, if you're interested in such things.  Just one last thing about the picnic.  When they drew for door prizes, guess whose name was the very first one drawn?  

Yep, I won a prize!  Once they'd called your name, you had to pull a number from another bowl to determine which prize you got and I won a sound bar.  I had to get Cody to hook it up for me when we got home, because I'm a bit of a luddite.  He also put together my other night stand for me, by the way, but it looks exactly like the other one, so I didn't take a picture of it.  

Back to the picnic.  It was an absolutely perfect day for it weatherwise.  Sunny and breezy.  Not too hot, nor too cold.  Except that it was scheduled right during the Navy vs Air Force game.  Good thing I upgraded my phone plan to unlimited data.  By the way, I wasn't the only one watching ball games at the picnic.  I looked over and saw our new HR director watching the Ole Miss game.  As my old dad would say, "a good time was had by all." 

After the picnic, Cody and Brennan wanted to drive around and scout out potential wedding venues.  They want to have an outdoor wedding, and Cody was thinking maybe have it somewhere on the lake.  Our first stop was the Visitor's Center.  I hadn't been there in ages, and they've totally remodeled it. It's still nice, but Cody and I were both disappointed that they'd taken out the model gatehouse with the real working gates that you can open and close with the push of a button. They did still have lots of wildlife dioramas, and some Civil War artifacts they'd found in the area. 

Heh, we stayed out on the balcony so long, the attendant came looking for us.  We're just enjoying the day, I told her. 

Our next stop was the restored redoubt, which had been closed the last time we tried to take Brennan to it.  She saw Cody raising the cannon level with the turn screw and said, "Oh, I want to try!"  She seemed so tickled by that.  I mean, that she could raise and lower it.  The canon, that is. 

We drove around and looked at a few more places, and discussed possible venues -- including the town square -- then headed back to the house.  Where we celebrated early birthdays. 

Cody's birthday is in two weeks.  He's going to be 29.  Brennan's birthday is in December, so I decided to get her a little gift, too.  Cody had asked for the Grenada-opoly game, but I wasn't sure what to get Brennan.  I found the bath bomb kit in the craft department at Walmart, and asked Cody if she'd like it. He said he thought she would, so I went ahead and got it. 

When she opened it, her face lit up and she said, "Ooooo!", so I think it was a hit.  

They headed back to Memphis shortly after, and I have my house back to myself.  I always enjoy when they come, but it is nice to have a quiet house once again.  

Cody was talking about them coming back for the Christmas tree lighting in December, so I really, really need to get this sewer line fixed before then.  It's just that I've been rejected so many times, I'm almost afraid to ask again.  Cody suggested I try to find a young plumber just starting out who hasn't gotten too big for his britches like the established ones have.  You know, the ones who have sooo many clients, they can pick and choose which jobs they want to take.  

I think I'll ask around and see if that's an option. 

No comments: