Thursday, October 13, 2022

Um, Okay?

Those of you who read my blog regularly know that they're remodeling the bathrooms at work.  

For those of you who just happened by today, they're remodeling the bathrooms out where I work.  

They did the ones up by the front breakroom last week, and even though they still have a few last little touches to go, they are back open for use now.  This week, they're remodeling the ones below the production offices, which are the ones I usually use. That means, when we need to answer nature's call, we have to find somewhere else to go.  

Shortly after lunch today, I felt the need, so I went back to the bathroom by what used to be the shipping office before they moved shipping off site.  When I was done tending my business, I stepped out of the stall and washed my hands.  Also in the bathroom was a newly hired person who works in the maintenance department.  I think she's the one they hired to replace the guy who was filming other guys peeing.  

Anyway, as I was drying my hands, this person pointed to the garbage can and said, "I'm going to leave this right here so you can throw your paper towels away."

Ummm, what?  She must have seen the look of confusion on my face, because she pointed to the garbage can again -- and keep in mind this is one of the huge metal kind that stands about 3 feet high -- and said, "I'll leave this here so you can throw your paper towels away."

I just smiled and said, "Thank you." 

Then she walked out, and I turned to the third person who was in the bathroom with us and we both just burst out laughing.  Seriously?  Did she seriously think I thought she was just going to pick up the whole garbage can and tote it off?  I work with some strange people, I'm telling you. 

Strange people. 

But the good news is, they've finally made masks optional...again. 


They'd done it once before, only The Big Man Up Front nixed it and made them mandatory again.  Now that he's gone...I suspect a lot of things are going to be changing.  At least I hope so.  Work is the only place I've had to wear a mask in nearly 2 years.  It's about time they caught up with the rest of the state.  And country.  And world. 

On a completely unrelated note, I can neither confirm nor deny that some ADP employees who shall remain nameless may or may not have taken their masks off just a skosh too early despite not having the correct vaccination status.  But that's neither here nor there...

In other news, we had some storms roll through last night.  Not as bad as the ones last month, but still severe enough to keep me awake most of the night -- and after having serious insomnia the night before, I'm pretty wiped out.  At least we got enough rain to make the dirt where my plumbing had been repaired to sink down.  

I'd expected it to sink down some, but not that much.  After a brief moment of panic, I realized it does make sense, because the hole that was there was pretty big to begin with, even before the plumber dug it all up.    

You know what else was pretty big to begin with?  The patch of cannas next to my shed.  I've already dug up this many, 

Yet it seems I've barely made a dent. 

I'm only digging a few up each day, because I don't want to overdo and make myself so sore I can't move for three days.  I've already done that once. I'll get them all eventually, but I don't know what I'm going to do with them.  I mean, I'll cut the leaves and stems off and throw them into my compost, but I don't know what I'll do with the bulbs.  I'm seriously considering burning them, because apparently that's the only way to kill a canna. 

Now for some bad news.  I heard back from the Celestron customer service, and the replacement battery pack for my telescope is going to be $40.  All things considered, I decided that was just a bit too pricy, and ordered the AC adapter from Amazon instead, and also ordered one that can be plugged into my car's 12 volt plug.  That way, I can still go out into the world with my telescope.  

Not that I ever go out into the world, but still.  I want to have the option to do so.

Even so, ordering both of those cost less that what it would have cost to replace the battery pack.  And it was just the case.  I had to buy my own AA batteries on top of all that. 

Speaking of going out into the world, I'm supposed to go meet Cody and Brennan at the Memphis Zoo tomorrow.  I haven't been to the zoo in ages!  They've built a couple of new exhibits that I've never even seen.  I'm going to leave out a little early, and stop by the big shopping place in Southaven.  I want to go to Joann's and the book store, and will probably whiz through the pet store as well.  

I just hope I sleep better tonight. 

No comments: