Wednesday, September 15, 2021

We're Winners!

 Today was my annual health screening at work, for my insurance.  Now, I don't usually have any problems meeting the requirements to avoid the higher priced premiums, but my cholesterol has always been high.  Before going in for these screenings, they recommend you fast for at least 6 hours before hand, so your numbers will be more accurate.

Wouldn't you know it, today was the one day I wake up absolutely starving.  Normally, I'm not hungry first thing in the morning...not today.  I was ravenous.  I tried to hold out, but I said, "Forget this.  I'm eating some oatmeal." And eat some oatmeal I did.  I knew it would effect my test results, but oh well...

Thus, it was not without some trepidation I went into my screening. 

And let me tell you, I killed it in there!  ALL of my numbers improved so much, except for my triglycerides, but the nurse said that was probably because I wasn't fasting.  And get this...my total cholesterol was down to 225!  It usually hangs out in the 300 range, and my LDL was 134.  She said they want it to be below 100, but that is when you've fasted.  For a non-fasting number, mine was OK.  

All that going in early and stomping up and down those stairs paid off!  And I'm sure losing 25 lbs didn't hurt, either.  I was so wanting to lower it naturally, without having to go on medications, and I did!  The trick is now to keep it that low.   I'm considering buying one of those machines you can test it at home, just so I can keep an eye on it. I don't know, though.  They can be pretty pricy.  

I felt so sorry for that poor nurse, because the test meter kept messing up.  It kept giving her an error message. She had to run my tests three times to get it to work right, which meant three finger sticks for me.  She kept apologizing, but I told her not to worry about it.  Things happen.  Heh, she had to get one of the other nurses to help her figure out how to clear the error, and I overheard her said, "I know she's about tired of me!"  Nah, it wasn't her fault.  

Once I was finished, and the nurse had explained the numbers to me, I was so stoked, I took my paper and accosted my coworkers with it, forcing them look at my outstanding cholesterol levels.  The three of us started dancing around, with me waving my paper in the air, singing, "We're winners!  We're winners!"  

And the rest of the brazers looked at us like we'd lost our minds...

Then I came home and saw that my spider lilies are starting to bloom. 

 Yay!  That means fall is almost here!

Now for a bit of bad news, I found out yesterday another former coworker of my lost his battle with COVID.  I didn't know him that well, and he wasn't there very long, but his mother also worked out there for a few years.  She and I had been good friends, but lost touch after she quit.  Her husband also worked out there briefly, but I didn't know him but in passing.  They had three sons.  Jason was the youngest.  He was 46 years old.  Y'all please be in prayer for his family.  

And finally, that I even needed to explain this tells me society is doomed. 


Doomed, I tell you.  

Doomed...


No comments: