Sunday, September 19, 2021

Stormy Start

There I was in bed, sleeping in knowing I didn't have to wake up to an alarm this morning, when suddenly, I heard Weatherman Matt's* voice coming across my weather app.

"Doppler radar indicates heavy rain approaching your area."

It was followed almost immediately by a loud clap of thunder.  Instantly, I was wide awake.  

Throwing off the covers, I ran to the back door and flung it open.  I didn't even stop to put on pants.  Shouting through my mouth guard, I called, "KITTY!!!  KITTY!!!"  From somewhere behind me, I heard a plaintive meow, and my first thought was, "Oh, good!  At least she had sense enough to get under the carport."  After letting my very wet and miserable kitty in, I went back to bed, but got right  back up as it was already almost 5:00 AM.  

Wait, what??   5:00 AM isn't sleeping in?  It is when you're used to getting up at 3:30.  

But I don't want to talk about that...

Other than the cat bring another live vole into my house and letting it loose, the rest of the day passed without incident.  I guess that was her revenge for me leaving her out in the rain.  

I spent a bit of time doing something I've been saying for months that I need to do.  And what was that?

For a while now, I've been fussing about how hard it is to find the right size knitting needles when I need them.  I've been telling myself for weeks I need to get them organized.  Today, that organization finally happened.  


I separated them by size, and put all of them -- DPNs, circs, everything -- into the same bag, so now, when I need a size 7, no more searching through dozens of needle packets -- half of which are empty anyway.  I just go to my ziplock bag with the 7s and get out what I need.  Cool, huh?  I even have a bag for miscellaneous sizes, mostly needles I only have one of that size.   

Cutie forgave me long enough to give it her seal of approval.  


In other news, I'm making progress on the beret I'm knitting.  


Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and show it on the blog.  Even if the recipient sometimes reads, she's not really someone who has to be surprised.  Besides, I did pick up a little something else for her at the Downtown Jubilee last week, and that will be a surprise.  

Speaking of the Jubilee, this was the first year in several years I've been able to go.  Last year, they didn't have it, and the two years prior to that, I was at the Fiber Fun In The 'Sip.  It was nice visiting some of the local vendors, and seeing local talent singing.  Even so, I missed going to FFITS, too.  I wonder if she's going to start it back up next year.  I hope so.  It's one of the few times I get to hang out with my knitting buddies any more, since Hank Of Yarn closed up in Southaven.   Amy suggested a shop down in Ridgeland we could try, but we haven't yet.  Maybe this fall...orrr we could all just go up to Leann's place and hang out.  She's been wanting us to come up there ever since she opened it.  

We need to get on that.  

By the way, I did not knit these. 


I picked them up at Walmart, because my old slipper socks are starting to get a bit raggedy.  These are sherpa lined, so they ought to be nice and cozy.  Now, I just need to find some firewood, and I'll be all ready for cold weather.

Speaking of cold, we're going to have a front coming through and the highs Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be in the low 70s.  I can't wait!  The bad news is, the Harvest Moon will rise tomorrow night, and we've got a 50% chance of rain.  Well, we can hope it clears off in time to watch it rise.  

If I can drag my lazy behind out of the house, I might drive down to the lake and watch it rising over the water.  Yes, I'll take the telescope if I go, and yes, I'll take pictures.  If I go. That's the real trick.  Getting me out of the house.  

In the meantime, enjoy these spider lilies I picked from the patch behind the fence.  


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some knitting and piano practicing to do.  Laters. 

*Matt Laubhan, meteorologist for WTVA voices the alerts for the station's weather app.  




1 comment:

Otter said...

I am downright giddy over the cool front that will push in down here on Tuesday. Sadly, when a front comes in, the air in front of it compresses, resulting in possible 100 degrees for today. The humidity takes a chokehold also. We will only go down to the mid 80's, but I will take it!