Monday, September 06, 2021

Well Poop!


 I finished the hat I'd been working on, and I could tell -- well, I could tell even before I'd finished -- that it was going to be too big --even if I tried to pass it off as a slouchy hat, the ribbing wasn't snug enough.  I tried it on, and it was way too loose even for my head, but really way too loose for someone with no hair.  

I thought briefly about ripping it all out and starting over, but I decided I was too close to being done for that.  I went ahead and finished it, then stuffed it into the gift drawer.  Surely, someone with a gigantic head or a lot of hair will need a hat sooner or later.  Or I might wash and dry it and see if it draws up any.  It's superwash, so I don't have much hope of that happening. 

This morning, I got up and cast on a new one with the second ball of Felici I still had, 


going back down to a 120 stitch cast on.  It should fit, but if it ends up being too small, I'll just give it to one of the kids.  In the meantime, I also cast on a normal sized beanie with some of my Knit Picks Brava worsted.


It's pretty soft for acrylic, and hopefully will soften up even more when I wash it.  

Other than that my Labor Day holiday passed pretty quietly.  I debated briefly on getting dressed and going shopping, but decided against it.  I have to go into town tomorrow anyway to pay some bills, so I'll just go pick up my few little things then.  

What I did do while I was knitting was to discover a couple of new to me shows, one called America's Hidden Stories, and the other one called Mystic Britain.  Both are historical documentary type series, and are pretty interesting.  I found them both on Hulu.  I said I was going to spend the weekend watching TV and knitting, and that's pretty much what I've done. 

I took a bit of a break to finish weeding what used to be my wildflower bed.  Well, almost finish.  There's still a little grass right by the edge that I didn't get to yet. 


I'm probably going to cover it with some leftover landscape fabric to keep grass and weeds out of it until next spring.  Unless I find some fall plants to put there, that is.  Maybe some pansies or something.  I've got time to decide, though, as it's still a little too warm yet for pansies.  

In the meantime, my Lantanas are really taking off, 

and my Zinnias are spreading so fast, they're falling over. 


But lookit here!  The first harbinger of Fall:



Yes, Gentle Reader, my spider lilies are peeping their sleepy heads above ground! And even though it's still warm, the wind is out of the north today, and it has that fall feel.  

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...










1 comment:

Otter said...

Somehow my zinnias did not get knocked over with yesterday afternoon's wild storm, but the bog elephant ears did. Go figure. Something I have noticed as I have weeded out my beds, is bluebonnets sprouting. I have found about 3 so far. None in mass yet. Things have gotten a little sparse this year.