Saturday, September 04, 2021

Busy Day

The plan was to relax in front of the TV all day,


but you know what they say about the best laid plans.  Things didn't quite go that way.  

Normally I put out my fall decorations over Labor Day weekend, and this year isn't any different in that regard.  After starting a load of laundry, I went out to the shed and got my boxes of stuff to bring into the house. While I was out there there, I got my shed-broom -- by which I mean the broom I keep out in the shed -- and swept the dirt and mud from the hurricane out.  

As I was sweeping, I thought to myself, "Self, you ought to go sweep out that section of the chicken coop where you want to put your firewood this fall." And that's exactly what I did.  I swept all the old chicken poop out, and got some 4 X 4s there to stack the wood onto.  


I'd been intending to do that for a while, but it's just been too hot.  It was cool enough this morning I could finally get outside and do a little of the work I've been putting off all summer. 

Now I just need to find someone with firewood for sale and I'll be all set.  I'd asked around in one of the FB groups, and one guy said he could get me some.  I asked how much he wanted for it, and how soon he could deliver it, but he never got back to me.  Typical for around here.  Another guy said he had some, but he was a little too proud of his wood for my budget.  I've still got some left over from last year, and people will start advertising it soon.  I'll be OK on wood, I think. 

Once that was done, and I'd taken my boxes of decorations into the house, I walked out and checked my mail.  The day the hurricane came through, I guess it was the winds that blew the door off.  It must have gotten run over or something, because the little handle was broken off. 


I brought it into the house and tried to somehow put it back on, but it just wouldn't work.  I tried first to pound the little pegs back into the holes, but they wouldn't go.  Then I tried to glue it, but that didn't work, either. 


It was bent too badly out of shape.  Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I got online and found a place where I could order a replacement door.  You can find pretty much anything online these days.  

All that done, I settled in to watch football and put out my fall décor. 


I'm going to have to buy a new wreath for my front door, though.  I also want to get some picks or something to put into those lamps on the top of the shelves.  Just a little something to add color to them.

I don't know if you can see it, but on the top of the unit on the right, that vase in the middle came from my mother's memorial.  Someone, and I think it was her church, had sent a bunch of flower arrangements up there, and they let us take them all home. We left the flowers at Beverly and James' house, because we didn't think they'd survive the trip back to MS, but I wanted to keep one of the vases.  

I put some old potpourri into it, but I think I'm going to toss it all at the end of the season.  The potpourri, I mean.  Not the vase.  It's pretty old, and has lost its scent and most of its color.  I'll have to find something new for next year.  Or even this year,  if I can find some. 

I might get up and go to the store Monday.  I didn't go yesterday, because I was trying to psych myself up to call the washing machine repair man -- which didn't happen, by the way.  Calling the repair man.   Sigh, I don't know what's wrong with me I can't make a simple phone call.  My issues run deep.  And I've still got to try to find an oral surgeon to get this other broken tooth removed.  

Let's finish up by talking about something more pleasant:  knitting. I'm this far on the latest hat.  


It's going slower because it's fingering weight, but it is moving right along.  My friend Leann has her fall collection up in her shop, and I'm trying to resist buying more.  That raise we all got kicked in this paycheck, and I feel suddenly rich.  

Now for some bad news...Navy got thrashed in their season opener, and LSU is struggling against UCLA.  It looks like it's going to be a long season.  At least Texas won.  

So, there's that. 





No comments: