Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Whiskers On Wednesday

 I guess since I keep kicking her off the piano bench, she's decided to steal my chair. 


Eh, fair's fair.      

There I was at work, just a working away, when one of the other brazers started yelling and pointing.  She grabbed the third shift guy working next to her, and ran over to another area of the department. 

Curious, I walked around the corner to see what the excitement was, and there was my coworker laying on the floor, not moving.  I said, "Someone page Group Leader Shark!" She's one of the first responders.  Nobody moved, so I turned around to go to the dispatcher's desk and use his phone to page -- even though I don't know how.  Luckily, she was right behind me.  

"Go get the cart from first aid," she said, so another brazer and I ran --and I use that term very loosely-- to the first aid office to get the gurney.  We passed the third shift supervisor and a couple of group leaders, who looked at us with confusion.  

"Coworker fell out!"  I yelled to them, and the supervisor went hurriedly over to tubing department. The other brazer and I grabbed the gurney and started running -- and again, I use that term very loosely -- back towards our department when the dispatcher met us halfway.  I let him take the gurney on, while we stopped and huffed and puffed a bit.  I turned to my coworker and said, "One thing I've learned from this -- if I ever have to run for my life, I'm toast!" 

To make a long story slightly less long, the coworker had not passed out as we'd thought.  She'd recently had surgery on her knee, and somehow, it gave out on her.  She collapsed onto the floor, and instead of calling for help, or even waving her hand, she just laid there.  Because she wasn't moving, I'd thought she had lost consciousness.  After I found out what really happened, I told the girl who'd run --and again, I use that term very loosely -- across the plant with me, "I feel like we've been played." 

But no matter.  The coworker is OK, but didn't come back to work today.  I don't know if she'll have to take some more time off or not.  I guess we'll see. 

In other news, the girl I hired to cut my grass showed up yesterday after being delayed by rain Monday.  She did a very good job on my yard.  Much better than the guy I hired a couple of years ago.  I'd started to caution her not to cut down my wildflower bed, but I didn't.  I figured she'd have sense enough to know that since it's in a bed, it's something she shouldn't cut.  

I figured wrong.


All my little batchelor's buttons...gone, just like that.  Even my few little bluebonnets that I fretted over so much -- and planted four packs of seeds to get.  Whacked to the ground.  I give up.  I just give up.  

I could cry...

And finally, Sahara dust season is almost over!  The bad news is, hurricane season is about to crank up again.  Or, good news if you're a weather geek like me. Also, what sorcery is this?



No comments: