Monday, April 18, 2022

Well, Well, Well...

 Five.  

Five is today's magic number.  No, that's not the number of brazers who were out.  That's the number who showed up.  Heh, at first, there were only three of us, and we were looking at each other like, "ummmm".  Then another brazer said, "[Brazer A] just messaged me.  She's coming, but she'll be late."  Then I said, "[Brazer B] might be here, too.  She's always late."  Sure enough, a minute or two later, Brazer B came walking in.  (Honestly, she's late so much, I don't know how she hasn't pointed out yet.)  

The brazing trainer said, "Now, let's see if they'll send someone up from the back to help us out."  Because anytime they're short handed back there, they said, "Hey, let's go get a brazer." Turnabout is fair play, right?  Apparently not.  They didn't send us anyone.  But the brazing trainer set up on a stand and helped us out, so that made six.  That's still half the department out.  And they wonder why we can't seem to keep up...

Anyway, look what we have here.

Do you see them?  Seedlings, and lots of them.  Less than a week after I'd planted them, too.  I'm thinking it might be the potting soil I used, and not my technique.  These are growing like gangbusters, while, the ones I planted in the peat pellets are still mostly no shows. 


Yes, I realize the potting soil (not the peat pellets) look a bit too wet, so after I took the photo, I propped the cover slightly open with a piece of mulch.  

I'll probably just take it off completely, since we're about past the time where we could get frosts. 

I was planning on cleaning out this bed Saturday, since we had the day off, and getting it ready for planting, 

because all of these are going to have to have a home soon, 

but it rained all weekend.  And I do mean all weekend.  I put out a 5 gallon bucket to collect rainwater for Marty Mac, and it's more than halfway full.  I mean, it had a bit in it from Wednesday's storms, but needless to say, I should have plenty of water for a while.  

Do you see what I see?  My mystery plant finally bloomed!

It's another bachelor's button.  It had to have come from the wildflowers I planted last year.  One of them must have seeded before my over enthusiastic lawn care person weedeated my whole wildflower bed.  Oh, that was a traumatic time, it was.  

 At least, I still have my bluebonnet.  


This little one has somehow managed to survive all the storms here lately. 


I got another surprise this week.  It looks like my lantanas are going to come back.  


Where I live, they're iffy.  Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.  I did get my hoe out and weeded this bed after I took the photo.  I'm going to try to get some mulch around them this year.  Hopefully, that'll take care of the weeds.  

I was strolling through the garden center, and I simply couldn't resist.  Shortly after I took this photo, I used my new potting table to get it into a hanging basket. 


Finally, a bit more good news.  The Christmas cactus I thought was dead is putting out new growth! 

Maybe it'll live after all!  

No comments: