Thursday, March 05, 2015

A Different Kind Of Mayhem

Thor's Day mayhem took on a different flavor this week, what with winter storm Thor arriving during the night.

Am I the only one who takes great delight in the coincidence that winter storm Thor arrived on Thor's Day?

Of course, for some of you, Thor didn't arrive on Thor's day, so...well, never mind.

Folks, that ain't snow.  It's sleet.  And ice.  But the expected 1/4 - 1/2 inch of ice accumulation didn't happen, and thankfully, the power never went out.  Once the sleeting stopped and the sun came out, the roads cleared up as well.  I shouldn't have any problem getting to work in the morning.

When I got up this morning, the back door was frozen shut.  The doorknob was so coated with ice that I couldn't turn it and open the door.  No problem, I'd just let the dogs out the front door.  Problem, Jesse doesn't like the front door.  He's a strange, neurotic dog, that one.

It took some doing, but I eventually got him outside.

After they'd attended their morning business, they were scratching at the door to come back inside.  Only, they were scratching at the back door.  You know, the one that was frozen shut.  I went to the front door and called them.  Rylea came right around and inside, but Jesse stayed on the back steps looking expectantly at the door.  No matter how many times I called him, he didn't budge.

Sigh, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  I bundled up and went out to get him.  I led him around to the front door, only he ran completely around the house and right back to the back door.  That dog!  Back around the house I went.  This time, I took him by the collar and led him to the front door.

It took some doing, but I eventually got him inside.

Anyway, Rylea did not like this kind of stuff on the ground.  Here we have her growling at the sleet.  If you look closely, you can see her hackles are raised. 

While I was laughing at Rylea, I noticed that the bird feeder had iced over.  The poor little birds were trying to find seeds on the ground, to no avail.

I quickly rectified that by scattering a bunch of bird seed around so that they could get to it.

The cat and I enjoyed watching all the little birds, through the window, of course.

Final tally, this is how much sleet was piled up on my back step this morning, before the sun came out and started melting it all away. 

And the sun did come out eventually, and it warmed up enough that much of the sleet melted away.  At least the roads seem to be clear now, and I should have no problem getting to work in the morning. 

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails