Friday, November 10, 2023

Veteran's Day Observed

Thanksvember Tenth:  IT'S RAINING!!!!   It's been raining most of the night and almost all morning!  Rain we desperately need.  It won't be enough to relieve the drought conditions, but at this point, we'll take any raindrop we can get.  I almost wish I'd gotten another rain gauge to see how much we got here, but I didn't.  The last one I had cracked, and wouldn't hold water any more, and I never replaced it.   

This morning, I had a brief moment of panic when I got up and realized all the city offices would be closed today, and I hadn't yet paid my trash bill.  That was quickly relieved when I opened said bill and saw that they'd given us until Monday to pay before incurring late fees, because of the holiday.  Since I didn't feel the need to rush into town to pay a bill, I spent a leisurely morning savoring my coffee and watching Kitchen Nightmares reruns...and oh, yes, knitting a new hat. 


You knew I would be able to stay away from those needles very long.  Oh, and I checked the tracking number on the hats I mailed off Monday, and it shows they've been delivered.   That means it's time to start filling the next box!

Eventually I got dressed and ran into Walmart to do my weekly shopping.  It was still raining, but I didn't even flinch.  I picked up my mostly free turkey, and redeemed enough offers to unlock the free sides (mashed potatoes, gravy mix, corn muffin mix, and cranberry sauce).  I say the turkey was mostly free because they have a $15 limit, and the one I picked was $19.  I was trying to get the smallest one I could find, but even it was 12 lbs.  And also, I splurged and got a Butterball, when I normally get Jenny-O or one of the other cheap brands.  I'm not completely sure why I went for the high dollar brand, but I wanted a Butterball, so I got me a Butterball, dadgumit!

Now, I'm back home and enjoying Christmas Cookie Challenge -- and another seasonal splurge.  


I was good.  I only bought one bag.   I can neither confirm nor deny that half the bag has now been consumed...

I need to find out what Cody and Brennan want to do for Thanksgiving, but all in all, it doesn't really matter.  I'm still going to cook my full Thanksgiving meal, even if I have to eat it all by myself.  Which reminds me, I probably ought to start working out my menu and making that shopping list.  Because I like to plan ahead.  

So, yesterday at work, they had a little luncheon for the veterans, and gave us these little plaques.  


 Normally, I eschew these kinds of things, but it was free food, so I went.  It makes me feel quite awkward and uncomfortable when people thank me for my service, because I feel like I don't really deserve it.  All I did was maintain satellite communications equipment and frankly, I wasn't really very good at that.  

On the other hand, if you ask  me if I would do it all over again the short answer is yes, in a heartbeat.  And that brings us to Thanksvember Ninth:  I'm thankful I was given the honor of serving such a great country as this.  And if I were given the opportunity to do it all over again, I'd do a better job this time.  

No, that's not a typo, and I didn't forget where I was in the count.  It's the one I would have posted yesterday had I blogged.  I'd intended to, but by the time I got home from the difficult day I had at work, I was completely out of social energy and just didn't feel like it.  So you get it today.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go find a production of The Taming Of the Shrew to watch while I knit some more on that hat.  

Laters. 

No comments: