Thursday, November 23, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, another Thanksgiving has come and gone, and even though it was just me, I still cooked my traditional Thanksgiving dinner. 


Yes, I even got my gravy boat out.  Because I deserve gravy in a gravy boat, by golly!  The downside to that is, I used the little packet of McCormick gravy mix that I got with my free Ibotta meal, and...let's just say, my homemade gravy is better.  I mean, it wasn't bad gravy.  It just wasn't great gravy.  I did chop up my little giblets and add them to it, but still...

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised by that whole berry cranberry sauce.  I don't normally like cranberry stuff, but that was pretty good.  For canned stuff, I mean.  It had a sweetness to it that counterbalanced the tartness from the cranberries, so I really liked it.  

By the way, I did stuff the turkey with apple slices, but frankly, I can't really tell that they made a difference in how moist the meat was.  The good news is, I only needed two of them to fill the turkey, so there are plenty enough for the deer.  Or whatever it is that is eating them.

Oh, and the meat thermometer worked pretty well.  The probe itself worked fine, but the app needs improvements.  At one point, it lost connection with the probe, and I couldn't figure out how to get the alarm to shut up.  I had to exit the app and start completely over, because when I tried to reconnect, it just took me to the help screen -- which all that did was explain why the probe might lose connection, but it didn't turn off the alarm.  I finally had to take the turkey completely out of the oven and stand right beside it with my phone to get the probe to reconnect to the app.  

Other than that, it worked a treat.  Just to be on the safe side, when the turkey was done, I double checked with my old fashioned meat thermometer and the probe was on point.  I may practice with it a few more times during the year, mostly to figure the app out, but it was so much more convenient than  constantly having to open the oven to check.  

And the pop up timer never did pop up...

All in all, it was good Thanksgiving.  I watched the parade, 


and yes, I still teared up a bit when Santa Claus entered Harald Square. 

I watched Miracle On 34th Street -- it's tradition -- then settled in to watch football for the rest of the day.  

The kids stopped by to visit a bit on their way back to Jackson, and took a bunch of leftovers with them --including the entire broccoli casserole.  When Cody was cutting some of the turkey off, Brennan tasted it and said, "oooo", so I guess she thought it was pretty good.  She said the one her cousin brought was a bit dry, which is surprising because the one he brought last year was so good.  He'd stuffed it with oranges and rosemary, which I was going to try myself this year, but I'd already cut my rosemary back pretty hard, and had all those apples already.  Maybe next year. 

She loved her Advent Calendar, by the way.  They brought Finley with them, so I got to meet him.  Since my crank pot cat was outside, we just let him go wherever he wanted and naturally, he went where he shouldn't have gone.  I had to chase him off of my kitchen cabinet and away from my breakables a few times, but overall, he was a good kitty. 

As another Thanksgiving draws to a close, for your final Thanksvember, I am thankful for family, and for the memories of Thanksgiving past and present.  Good times and not so good.  Thanksgiving is what you make of it, and there is always something to be thankful for. 

Now, before I go, it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the greatest Thanksgiving show ever in the whole history of the universe.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

No comments: