Saturday, November 11, 2023

Quiet Birthday

I spent a quiet birthday at home, as I usually do.  I don't really mind, because being an old, cranky introvert, I'm not much into parties.  I was going to buy myself a cake from Walmart yesterday, but even the small ones -- like 6" x 8"-- were $17 something dollars.  Nope.  Not going to happen.  Plan B was to just bake one myself, but I scrapped that idea too, because I don't need all that sugar.  Eh, birthday cakes are for kids anyway.  I guess.

Moving right along...

As you know, I've been redeeming all these ibotta offers to get a free turkey.  Since one of the offers I redeemed was for Ro-Tel tomatoes, I'd intended to make myself some cheese dip to eat while watching football this weekend.  I bought the Ro-Tel and the Velveeta, then got almost all the way home before I realized I'd forgotten chips.   I briefly thought about going back into town to get some, but I have to go Monday to pay some bills.  I'll just get some then.

Instead, I made myself some bacon flavored Velveeta shells and cheese, where I discovered a nice little birthday surprise.  Someone messed up and put two packets of the bacon bits in my box!  Woo hoo!  

It's the little things...

After lunch, I decided to go ahead and make out my menu for Thanksgiving dinner so I can pick up anything else I might need this next payday.  It's just going to be me this year as Cody and Brennan will be going to Brennan's parents' house...again...They said I'm welcome to come, too, but I don't really want to go up there again.  I went last year, and though they were nice enough and all, I still felt awkward and out of place.  In other words, my normal self.  Plus, Thanksgiving is really the only full meal I cook any more, and I kind of enjoy doing it.  It kind of surprised me how much I missed cooking last year.   

I don't know...it looks like if I want to spend any holidays with my son, I'm going to have to go to Brennan's parents house to do it.  On the other hand, I don't really mind spending holidays alone.  I'm used to it by now.  

OK, enough of my whinging...

Since I'd already gotten myself into the holiday mood, I got my sealing wax and stamps out and began making the seals for my Christmas cards.  I got to use my new little spoon holder thingy that I bought last year with my Christmas money. 

 It made it so much nicer than having to hold the spoon the whole time.  The only issue with it is that the little tea lights burn down pretty quickly, but even so, it's pretty handy to have around. 

While I was looking for more tealights, I ran across this liquid candle I've had for probably 25 years.  

I'd bought it for power outages and have never used it.  Since I now have my Harvey lantern, it's highly unlikely I ever will, so I drug it out and lit it.  Between that and the other thing, I got quite a few seals made. 

I've got to order more silver wax beads, too.  I didn't realize how little I had, and those three seals you see are all I was able to do.  While I'm at it, I'll order more blue as well.   

As per my usual, if you want a card and aren't already on my list, message me your address and I'll be happy to add you.  Also, if you've changed your address lately, I'll need that updated.  

And finally, Thanksvember Eleventh:  I'm thankful God has charged me with another year to do his good works.  And I'm thankful he gave me an unquenchable passion for the task he has given me. 


It may seem like such a little thing to you, but every stitch I knit is my offering to him.  

No comments: