Sunday, June 11, 2023

Well, That Was Interesting

It all began around...hmmmm, maybe 4:00 ish PM.  The sky grew dark and the wind picked up.  


It actually got worse than this for a moment, but I didn't get video of that.  Then, right at 5:00, the lights flickered, then flickered again, and finally went out for good.   It wouldn't be until 2:15 AM that they would come back on.  I'm guessing they had to re-set some utility poles, and that's what took so long.  Well, and they had to wait for the storm to pass, so it would be safe for the linesmen to get out there in the first place. 

While the electricity was out, I was actually a bit thankful I'd cut off my internet, because I've re-discovered how to entertain myself without it.  Mostly by watching The Office re-runs on my phone, so I'm not sure that even counts, but still...  

Be that as it may, the ol' Harvey lantern* got a good workout, and I used my solar power bank to keep my phone charged up, and I watched Jim and Pam get married, so we did all right.  I even played a game of yarn chicken and knit another headband. 


This one actually made me sweat a bit, and not just because I had no air conditioning.  Do you see the tail on the right?  Yeah, that's literally all the yarn I had left over when I finished.  So, I won, but it was a bit too close for comfort.  

Once I'd finished that one, I went to my cabinet to get another skein of yarn and found this Knit Picks Brava that I'd completely forgotten about.  I quickly whipped out a headband, 


then cast on another hat.  


Along about 9:00, I figured there was no point in sitting alone in the dark, so I went on to bed.  I'd actually woken up to use the necessary, and hadn't gotten back to sleep yet when the power came back on, so I had to get back out of bed and turn off all the lights and stuff that I'd left on.  And that was my excitement for yesterday. 

This morning, I went out to check on all my outside plants and discovered that one last tree that was out by my fence had fallen over.  It was leaning pretty badly anyway, and I guess without the tangle of privet and vines and such to support it, those winds were just too much for it.  No matter, I got it pretty well cleaned up and was able to push my fence back upright and secure it to that top rail, so other than being a bit dented up, it's almost as good as ...well, not so new and it still needs replaced, but it'll do for now. 


I'll get out after work tomorrow and clean up that last pile of branches and stuff, and I'll be able to turn my attention to other things -- like the rest of the fence, which was nowhere near as bad as this one was, but still...

Now for the bad news, we're expecting more severe weather this evening.  Fun fun...

And finally, after 19 years, I had a seriously Duh moment today.  See, my California King snake Onyx likes to drag his aspen shaving substrate into his water bowl.  None of the rest of them do that.  Just him.  I get tired of constantly having to put the snake into a holding box, get the water bowl out and dump the nasty water, clean it, replace it, blah, blah, blah...  Today, it suddenly -- finally -- occurred to me:  I have a wet-vac.  

I got it out and it was so easy just suck the water out, then pour fresh water into the bowl -- and all without having to even bother the snake.  I'm sure he's grateful for that. 

I know I am. 

*Harvey Lantern:  Back in 2017 when hurricane Harvey came through, my power was out for a whole day.  I couldn't find a single battery operated lantern or lamp anywhere.  All the ones I'd bought when Cody was in cub scouts were either missing or no longer functioning.  After work the next day, I went out and bought the biggest, brightest battery operated lamp I could find, and promptly dubbed it my Harvey Lantern-- a name it still goes by to this day.   

No comments: