Saturday, June 10, 2023

I Splurged

It is Saturday, June 10, 2023, and I still have a job.  For now, at least. 

Yep, for once the rumors turned out to be true, and the plant did have another layoff yesterday.  The Big Man Up Front said that while work has picked up a bit, they haven't gotten nearly enough orders to keep up with our production output, so that required some difficult decisions.  They laid off 36 people, and have shut down another assembly line.   We're down to three on day shift, and two on second shift. 

We've had our ups and downs over the last 30 years, but no one has ever seen it this bad.  It's not looking to get any better, either.  I hope you're all stocked up on beans and rice, and ramen noodles.  Unless you're on food stamps.  Then you can fill your buggy to overflowing -- unlike us poor stupid saps who work for a living and have to live on peanut butter sandwiches and Vienna sausages.  

OK, I exaggerate.  It's not that bad -- yet.  But it's getting there.    

But let's move on to more pleasant things.  I mentioned a few days ago that since I cut off my internet, I've been watching more of my DVDs.  A few days ago, I had a hankering to watch one of my old favorites, but alas that's when I realized I didn't actually have it on DVD.  I was sure I had bought it years ago, but no....  That was rectified in short order. 


It's been so long since I've watched it, I'd forgotten how good it is.  While watching, I finished the had I'd been working on. 

I also cast on another headband, but it's only got one row done, so there really isn't much to see yet. 

In other news, I finally got in and got that new bed put together and into Cody and Brennan's room. It wasn't that hard to put together, even by myself.  The hardest part was wrestling that mattress off the old bed and onto the new one.  It's pretty heavy, but what makes it more difficult is that there isn't anything to hang on to.  

The new bed said it doesn't need a box spring, but I figured what else am I going to do with the one I already had?  So, I put it onto the new bed.  

It makes it pretty high, but I figure at least 364 days out of the year, it's only purpose will be for me to fold laundry on it, so I decided to leave it.   Besides, I didn't want to have to deal with moving that mattress again.  I'll ask the kids next time they come, and if it bothers them, I'll get them to help me move the box spring out, and I'll offer it up for sale.  Or for free, since people don't really use box springs any more. Most modern beds don't require them. 

The only downside is that if you want to use nightstands beside the bed, that front drawer is pretty much useless, unless you move the nightstand or the bed every time you need to open it. 


I put my Christmas wreaths and gift boxes in them, so I'll only need to open them twice a year -- once to get them out, and once to put them back.  Oh, and this bookshelf will eventually get moved out


once my seemingly immortal snakes go to that great herpetarium in the sky.  

I'll need to check with Cody and see if they still want this headboard and bedframe, but for now, it's sitting in my hall.  I figured if it's going to be there, I might as well prop a few photos on it, right?  


Now, I think I need to work on finishing my Doctor Who and Downton Abbey collections.  But one disc at a time.  I still need to pinch my pennies, just in case. 

Oh, and yes, that means the fence will have to wait, too.  

And finally, I finished reading Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.  It was pretty good, but nothing to write home about.   Now I'm reading the Legend series by Marie Lu. 

I'd read the first one a couple of years ago, but never read any of the others, even though I have books 2 & 3 on my Kindle.   I'm re-reading it now before I read the other two, because I've forgotten what happened.  

That's a reflection on my memory, not the book.  It was pretty good, as I recall....

No comments: