Tuesday, May 03, 2022

There Has Been Knitting

I forgot to clock in yesterday. 

When I got to work, I forgot to clock in.  I walked right past the time clock like it wasn't even there, like I haven't been clocking in every single day for 27 years, and went to my stand.  I put my stuff down, went to get my ice, then got my tools and stuff out of my locker.  I went back to my stand and began setting up on my first order.  That's when I noticed it. 

My work badge, flapping in the breeze.  Figuratively speaking. 

I usually tuck it inside my shirt as soon as I clock in, so as to keep from melting it while I'm brazing.    

Which I can neither confirm nor deny may or may not have actually happened....um, to a friend.  Yeah, to a friend. 

I'm pleading the Fifth. 

Back to my story.  My badge, flapping in the breeze.  "Oh, dang!  I forgot to clock in!" I said to myself, and immediately went and did just that -- at 4:01.  Later, I told my supervisor what I had done, and he said, "As long as you've clocked in before 6:00, you're not late."  I replied that it didn't really matter anyway, since we don't get an attendance bonus or anything any more.  

And that was how my day started.  Oh, wait, before that even happened, I almost ran over a raccoon on the way to work.  Yesterday.  This morning, I almost ran over a possum.  A couple of days ago, I almost hit a deer.  All three on Riverdale Road, for you local folks. 

What goes through their heads, these animals?  Do they really sit there and think, "Oh, look!  A gigantic hunk of metal hurtling towards me at 50 (ish) miles per hour.  I think I'll just dart right out in front of it!" 

Such a lovely way to start your day -- with a heart attack like that.  

Anyway, in all the craziness going on in my life -- most of which occurs at work -- there has also been knitting.  Not much, but some. I've mostly been working on this scarf,  

which looks exactly the same as it did the last time I showed it to you, just a little bit longer. I really need to get back to working on my sock, too.  I don't know where my knitting mojo has gone, but I hope it comes home soon!  

I'm going to end this on a positive note.  We had a meeting at work today, and they've updated their vacation policy.  Effective immediately, everyone who has been there more than 25 years now has FIVE more vacation days!  

Now, I just have to figure out when I want to take them...

No comments: