Sunday, November 07, 2021

Quiet Sunday

 After the hustle and bustle of the previous two days, today has been a quiet Sunday.  It's nice to have some down time every once in a while.  The good news is, my friend texted me yesterday and said we're back to coming in at 6:00 AM starting tomorrow.  I'm hoping we'll also be getting off at 2:00 PM instead, of 3:00, but I don't know.  It would be nice to have that extra hour in the evenings.  Not to mention an extra hour of sleep every night.   Which I probably won't get, because I'll just stay up later.  

So, what did I do while enjoying a quiet day at home?  I finished my friend's hat.


I like the way it turned out, and I think my friend will, too.  Even better, I washed and dried it, which made it soften up considerably.   I was kind of concerned, because the yarn was a bit stiff, but it turned out all right.  

Me, I'm such a doofus.  Why am I such a doofus?  Well, I'll tell you. 

I'd wanted to knit the ribbing on size 7 needles, and do the body on size 9s.  I was sure I had some size 9 circular needles around here somewhere.  I spent two days looking for them, but didn't find them.  I finally just did the body of the hat on a size 8 circular.  

I've got a considerable bit of yarn left over, and I wanted to cast on a matching scarf.  Once again, I tore up my house looking for my size 9 circs, which I was sure I had around here somewhere.  Unable to find them, I cast on a scarf on size 10.  I didn't like the way that was turning out, so I looked again for the size 9.  

That's when it hit me.  I've got some size 9 tips for my interchangeable needles.  I'd even had them in my hand while I was looking for the circs.  More than once.  

Sigh, I can't even blame sleep deprivation this time, because I slept in until nearly 6 this morning.  And got an extra hour to boot.  Be that as it may, I now have some size 9 circulars -- just the kind with interchangeable tips.  

That problem solved, I cast on the scarf, intending to make just a simple garter stitch, but I'm not liking the way it's looking. 


I know the wider scarves are back in style now, but I'm thinking about starting over and making a very long, narrow scarf.  I like those better anyway, and think the yarn will stripe better with a narrower cast on.  I just need to find a pattern...or decide whether to stick with garter stitch or not.  I'm thinking not.  

Somebody really needs to teach Red Heart how to dye self striping yarn.  

In the midst of all that, I got out my sealing wax and began making some seals for my Christmas cards. 


I make them on one of those silicone baking mats, then use glue dots to stick them to the envelopes.  I know that's technically cheating, but this way, if I mess up one, I can just melt it down and do it over.  Like that little white one on the lower left.  It'll get re-done because I don't like the way it turned out. 

I used the little wax melter Cody got me for Christmas a few years ago do to the red ones. Kindly ignore the dust on the base.  It got wiped off after the picture was taken. 


It's a handy little thing when you have a bunch of seals to do at once, and want them all in the same color, but if you're only going to do one or two, it's easier just to use the melting spoons.  I'm going to do some more seals later on, after I order some more green wax and maybe I'll even get some holiday Washi tapes, too. 

By the way, if you want a Christmas card, please send me your address.  If you got one last year, you're good, but if you're new to this blog, I'll be happy to add you to my list.  And don't feel obligated to reciprocate.  I'll still send you a card.  

I'll be happy to.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go figure out what I'm going to do with this scarf.  

Laters...

1 comment:

RBJ said...

Try knit 4, pearl 4, repeat. It’s a cool waffle texture.