Thursday, November 11, 2021

Another Inventory

Inventory has come and gone for another year, and yes, it was just as much as a mess as you might have imagined. 

It all started when I woke up this morning. 

No, wait.  It all started before I went to bed last night, when I suddenly couldn't remember if I'd double checked what time inventory was supposed to start.  I'd checked the paper, and thought I saw where it started at 7:00, and it usually starts at 7:00, but I didn't triple check to see if they'd changed the time for some unknown reason.  Why I thought they'd do that is beyond me, but you know us introverts.  We're overthinkers to the max.  

I finally said, "I'm going in at 7:00, and if I'm late, I'm just late."  But I wasn't.  Inventory actually did start at 7:00 and I was right on time.  

I didn't bother to reset my alarm before going to bed, so I woke up at the usual time for my normal shift, which gave me an extra hour before I had to go in.  It was a bit disconcerting, because I had the nagging feeling I was late.  I haven't even gotten used to going in at 6:00 instead of 5:00, and today I went in at 7:00.  I was totally discombobulated.  

While I was waiting for time to leave, I thought, hmmm, since I have this extra hour before I go in, I'll just sit and savor my coffee at home, which I did.  Not long into the work day, I was regretting that decision.  Kind of wishing I'd brought some with me.  But I didn't, so I had to muddle through without it. 

My coworkers and I got back to the sheet metal department, and as I predicted, nobody knew what was going on.  It didn't help that the parts racks were a total mess.  There were stacks of parts that didn't have a part number at all, and the ones that did have a label only had the last four digits.  Since we have to write the entire 9 digit number, that didn't help us at all.  Now, someone who actually works in sheet metal would probably know what the other 5 digits were, but we had to get someone to go look them up for us.  All of us, and I do mean all of us, were asking why they didn't just get the people who work in that area to inventory it but that would make too much sense.  If there is anything my place of employment is good at, it's figuring out what makes the most sense and doing the exact opposite. 

Then there was our chieftain, who didn't know squat.  I mean, he tried his best, and I don't blame him for not knowing squat.  He's only been working there two months, after all.  But more than once, we had to call the other team's chieftain over to answer a question.  Then there was the time he told me he was going to go get some more of the little tickets we have to fill out, only the way he said it sounded as if he were asking my permission.  Bless his heart, he was so nervous!  I don't think he's ever been in a leadership position at all.  We were supposed to have five card writers and five counters on our team.  The idea is to pair up one of each, and that way we can cover the entire department faster.  This poor fellow, he couldn't even split up the two counters who were standing there talking, and one of the supervisors had to count for me.  He shouldn't have had to do that.  It was an hour and a half into the shift before I wrote my first card.  
But we muddled through, and the long day finally ended.  

Then I came home and worked off my frustration splitting some firewood.  The stuff I bought last year had some pretty big pieces in it, and I wanted to split them into smaller pieces so they'll burn better.  It's good exercise splitting wood by hand. 

It'll come in handy this weekend.  Check out these temps: 


I need a snugglebunny for this weather!

Eh, I guess the cat will have to do. 

No comments: