Saturday, July 03, 2021

Founder's Day

 Today was my town's first Founder's Day celebration.  I didn't stay for the whole thing, but I got a few photos while I was there.

The day started with a prayer, followed by the Pledge Of Allegiance, and the National Anthem. 


Then Mayor Billy Collins told the story of how our town was founded. 


The short version is, Grenada was originally two towns, Pittsburgh and Tulahoma.  On July 4, 1836, the leaders of each town decided to merge into one town.  They held a mock wedding to symbolize the two becoming one.  They used to have a big mural on the side of a building, but it got painted over when they remodeled.  Shame, that. 

Next, county sheriff Rolando Fair read the Preamble to the Constitution (without singing it, I might add), and excerpts from the Declaration of Independence.
 

This is Ralph Miller, one of the entertainment acts.  


They had food, and games for the kids, and bouncy houses, and farm equipment, including this antique tractor.  


These photos are just some of the old Southern architecture around the town square. 



I've always loved this old style, and this door is simply gorgeous. 


All in all, it was a nice little celebration, and I hope they make it an annual thing.  Maybe if they keep doing it, it'll grow and get even better.  







No comments: