Wednesday, August 26, 2020

The Whelming Flood

 My concern finally got the better of me, so this morning, I tracked down one of the supervisors and asked him how Other Boss was doing.  He told me Other Boss is doing better.  He'd been very sick for a while, but seems to have turned a corner.   His wife, on the other hand, has been put into hospice care.  She is not expected to survive.   

Also, remember my friend's pastor who died last week?  This morning, she told me his wife has also died.  Both died of COVID.


Of course, the big news of the day is the monster storm bearing down on the Texas and Louisiana coast. 


Heh, you know you're a weather geek when the first thing you do after you wake up is to grab your phone and check the status of the hurricane.  I can neither confirm nor deny that that is exactly what I did this morning.  Just in case you're living under a rock and haven't heard, Laura strengthened to a Category 2 overnight, and as of this writing, sits at a strong Category 4.  Her sustained winds are at 150 MPH -- only 7 miles shy of a Category 5.  The National Hurricane Center is saying she will produce an "unsurvivable" storm surge.  

I've never in my life heard of that, but it's what they're saying.  It's so bad, the National Weather Service in Lake Charles, LA evacuated.  It's so bad, my baby brother Scott and his wife have evacuated.  He's never evacuated from a hurricane in his life, so you know it's serious.  Beverly and James have also evacuated.  Beverly told me, "We're getting too old to ride this stuff out."  

By the way, The Jim is in my hometown.  

I feel a lot better knowing my family and most of my friends have turned tail and run.  And there is no shame at all in fleeing before a storm of this magnitude. It is the better part of valor, you know.   

Discretion.  

 


No comments: