Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Hurricanes and Soup

I finally heard back from the produce company.  They apologized for taking so long, and explained that their e-mail isn't checked regularly.  No matter.  They said they don't deliver to private residences, only to food banks and churches.  So, apparently, someone at a local church wanted to give me a gift.  Good thing, because I'd already eaten the tomatoes.  I also used some of the potatoes to make soup.  

Now, when I make soup, I don't use a recipe.  I start with chicken broth, then just throw stuff in until it's done.  The problem with that is when I make a really good soup, I can't remember how I did it, so I can't make it again.  And this soup was really good, too.  But I can't remember how I made it.  Bummer. 


In other news, I got an unexpected couple of hours off of work today.  They didn't have any work for us to do, so they sent most of the sub-brazers home at 10:30.  After standing around doing nothing for several hours, they powers that be finally threw in the towel and sent the rest of us home at 2:30.  

So, what did I do with my extra hour and a half?  Was I productive?  Did I get some necessary chores done?  Did I even perform such a simple task as folding the laundry?  No.  I made some mac and cheese and watched Dr. Pimple Popper.

I don't recommend that if you have a weak stomach. 

I have a valid excuse, though.  It was raining.  I'm not completely sure, but I think it's something Marco dragged along behind him.  There wasn't any wind, just a slow and steady rain.  I'm not even mad, and my yard is very glad to get a drink.  Me, I just hope it settles some of this dust down.


I probably ought to point out that this isn't Sahara dust. That's long since gone.  This is just dust from not having any significant rain in about 6 weeks. It's pretty bad.  My poor supervisor's eyes were so swollen from it, he couldn't even come to work yesterday.  

All I could say once again was,  may the odds be ever in your favor. 


And finally, Laura's track has shifted westward again.  



We'll probably still get some wind and rain, but yes, my poor hometown is likely to take a direct hit. Again.  

Oh Christ, whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at thy word
Who walked upon the foaming deep
And calm amidst its rage did sleep
Oh hear us when we cry to thee
For those in peril from the sea.















No comments: