Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Didn't Last Long

 I mentioned the other day that they'd banned people from eating on the shop floor at work.  I don't mean literally on the floor, but you know...out while we're working.  So, yesterday about 6:30, I happened to glance over, and there was Stalker, mask pulled down below his chin, stuffing a sausage biscuit into his mouth.  

"Well, look who thinks he's special," I muttered to my coworker.  Then I had to correct myself, "I can't really say anything, because if I hadn't forgotten my breakfast at home, I'd be doing the exact same thing."  

I can neither confirm nor deny that this morning I may or may not have done something that could possibly resemble an activity that appears to be similar to eating my breakfast on the shop floor.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Looky, over here!  Let me show you my new shirt:


Now, there is debate in some of the Texas groups on how to count generations.  Some say you count from the first ancestor who moved to Texas.  Others say it's the first ancestor born in Texas.  The opinion seems to be about 50/50 split.  Me, I chose to count from the first ancestor who moved to Texas, since he was there before the Revolution. That would be William Abraham Winfree.  

While I was checking on Ancestry.com, I realized something fascinating.  Abraham -- as we in the family call him -- was born in Louisiana in 1802, when it was still part of France.  It became part of the American territories when Napoleon sold it to the United States in 1803 as The Louisiana Purchase, and became a state in 1812.  In 1830, Abraham moved his family to Texas, when it was still part of Mexico.  He remained there until his death in 1865.  During that time, Texas became an independent republic, a part of the United States, then part of the Confederate States Of America, and back to being part of the U.S. at the end of the Civil War. 

So, he lived in five different countries and never traveled more than 200 miles from his birthplace.  (He did live in the U.S. three different times, but I only counted it as one country.) I think that's pretty cool. 

Since masks are still required at work, I threw this one into the shopping cart, so I could rep the great state of Texas in style. 



The good news is, Mississippi's rolling 7 day average of new cases is slowly but surely decreasing.  The bad news is, I now know more about leading indicators and lagging indicators and rolling averages than I ever wanted to.  The more bad news is, according to state health officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs, 11 hospitals in the state still have zero ICU beds available.  That was from Friday's press conference, I believe... or Saturday's.  The days are all running together.  They didn't do one today, so I don't know the current status. 

The latest group of quarantined people are all back at work -- including the ones who actually had COVID -- except for one.  We were talking about him just this afternoon.  "Other Boss must be really sick, because he's still not back.  He got it at the same time as Kitter and Assembly Line Group Leader, and they're both back already."  That's when my coworker told me her pastor in is intensive care on a ventilator.  He's not doing well.  

Keep him in your prayers, please, if you're so inclined.  

UPDATE: I just found out my friend's pastor has passed away.  Please remember his family during this difficult time.

No comments: