Monday, September 09, 2019

It's The Little Things

I used up the last of my milk this morning making breakfast, so after work, I ran by Dollar General to pick up some more.  The one on Papermill Road, for you local folks.

As I was turning left into the parking lot, I saw the sheriff's truck come flying down the exit (from I-55 for you local folks).  He drove into the intersection of Papermill Rd and 51 hwy ( for you local folks) and just sat there blocking traffic.  A moment later, an ambulance came headed north on 51 and passed on by, out of sight.  They were headed in the direction of my road, and I thought, "Oh, I hope it's not one of my neighbors."

I got my milk and started towards home.  Up the way, I could see the ambulance and sheriff's lights flashing.  As I got closer, I could see there was a wreck up there.  I thought to myself, it's a good thing I needed milk, because if I'd gone straight home from work, I would have been right there about the time that wreck happened.

It's the little things...

I saw they had the whole road blocked in time to turn on Riverdale Rd (for you local folks) and take the back way home.  Eh, I wanted to check the corn crop back there anyway.  It's already been harvested, by the way.  Some of the cotton is starting to open up, too, in the fields that were planted earlier.  Some weren't planted until nearly the middle of June, because of the flooding.  They won't be ready for another few weeks.

Truly, I should have been a farmer.   Or a farmer's wife.  Or a cattle rancher.  Or a shrimping boat captain.  Or a hermit.

By the time I got home, I was laughing at myself.  They probably would have had the road cleared by the time I drove all that way around.  No matter.  I always enjoy taking that drive.  It's so pretty back that way.

Remember a few days back, I was complaining about that Extraterrestrial Highway race I was doing on Yes.Fit?  I finally finished that sucker.


Thank goodness!  That was the most boring race.  Nothing but the same old Nevada desert.  I've already started the next one,  Thor.  It goes around the southern coast of Iceland.  It's got a lot more interesting scenery. 

Also, remember how I said I was done buying piano music books for a while?  It would seem I was mistaken.


This one is hymns, and they're pretty easy, yet not one-fingered scores.  I've already played a couple.  I had to rear myself away from this book and make myself do my regular piano lesson stuff.  Which I will do as soon as I've published this blog. 

Which I will do as soon as I show you this.  I saw both my yearling bucks yesterday evening, and managed to get a few photos of them.


They come and lick up the corn the squirrels toss onto the ground.  Squirrels are wasteful slobs.  They'll get a kernel, take one bite out of it, then throw it down and get another one.


This is my little 7 point.  The other one had already ran off into the woods by this time. He's got 4 points. 


I sure hope nobody shoots him.  Once he gets a little maturity, he's going to be a nice buck.








No comments: