Sunday, September 06, 2026

Stir Crazy

You want to hear something weird?  I'm feeling almost as stir crazy right now as I was during the ice storm last winter.  I want to be outside doing things, but it's been so hot that I can't stay out very long.  So, I'm just sitting here in the air conditioning fretting because I can't be doing what I want to be doing.  

By the way, if you're thinking that you don't remember it being this hot when you were a kid, you're kind of right.  Oh, it was still hot when you were a kid, but you didn't notice it as much.  You can handle the temperature extremes a lot better when you're younger.  That's why older folks are the most vulnerable.  

If you can stand a bit of language...quite a bit of language, The Fat Electrician did a video on why air conditioning is the greatest invention of the twentieth century.  It's kind of hard to argue with his logic. 

OK, moving right along.  The plan was to get out early this morning before it got too hot and spread my fire ant granules.  Alas, when I went out to my shed, I discovered that I didn't have any fire ant granules.  I was sure I'd bought another bag, but apparently I didn't.  I still had some Spectracide, so I spread that instead.  I was supposed to water it in, but I decided to just pray for rain, and sure enough a few hours later, my stuff got watered. 


I had to take a video of it.  It's been so long since it's rained, I had almost forgotten what it looks like.  It didn't rain long, though -- only about 15 minutes, but it was enough.  It had the added benefit of cooling things off so that my air conditioning turned off.  

Anyway, not much going on today.  I did sort through a few more storage boxes and as with the others, I threw most of it away.  I don't know why I'm keeping some of this stuff.  I mean, I found an athletic supporter in one of them.  Seriously.  I jock strap.  Why?  I have no idea where it came from or why I have it.  I can only guess it was a freebie that I got back when I was in karate and ordered some stuff from a website.  It was still sealed up in the package, but I tossed it into the garbage anyway.  

I just wish I could get Cody to come up and sort through his stuff.  He keeps saying he wants to before I toss it all, but so far, it's been like pulling teeth to get him to actually do it. I'll bet if I did toss it all, he'd never miss any of it.  


In knitting news, I finished another sailor hat while I was watching football yesterday. 


Yarn:  Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn
Colorway:  Dakota
Pattern:  Basic Beanie
Needles:  US 8  / 5 mm

Did you see LSU vs. Clemson?  It was wild, I'm telling you.  I fell asleep sometime during the third quarter, because they had a two hour lightning delay and got started late.  It looks like this is going to be a fun season. 

I keep saying I'm going to write a big, long post about how NIL and the transfer portal are ruining college football, but it isn't happening today.  I was watching Navy, and they'd put up a graphic of the service academies showing how many Commanded In Chief trophies each school had won.  The commentator mentioned that those are the only true college football teams left.  All the rest are professional teams.  He's not wrong. 

Kids don't go to school to get an education any more.  They go to whichever school pays them the most, even if he's not a student.  Remember Carson Beck?  When a reporter asked him what it was like in class the week before the national championship, he replied that he'd actually graduated two years before.  Why was he still playing college football, then?  

And there are players getting six and seven years of eligibility -- and I'll bet anything they're not students.  Then there's the talk this year about players who get cut from an NFL team wanting to return to play college ball again.  

College ball had definitely changed and not for the better.  The question is, what can we do about it?  

Maybe I need to get that big, long post written after all. 

No comments: