It has almost felt like Fall these last couple of days. Oh, it was still hot, but after the front passed through, the breeze had that crisp feeling that felt like Fall. Almost, but not quite.
One of the meteorologists I follow said this was a not as hot front.
Yesterday morning, I mostly finished cleaning out the shed, and I'm pretty pleased that I finally got it done.
I still have all of these boxes to sort through, and I've got to nag Cody to come go through his stuff, but for the most part, I'm done.
All of this junk is ready to be hauled off,
and guess what! I actually...yes, I called the clean up man! Woo hoo!
He was going to come this afternoon, but when it started storming, we decided to put it off until Monday. He said he'd come anyway, but there is no need for him to work out in the rain and muck and mud. Monday will be sunny and drier. Once that's done, it will be one more thing I can mark off my list.
I wanted to show you this one thing I found in a box out there.
Someone -- I can't even remember who-- gave this to me for Christmas years and years ago, long before 2001. After the attacks, I put it away and never even opened it. It is now up in the closet with the other puzzles, still unopened. They're saying we will have a particularly harsh winter due to the Super El Nino, so maybe I'll work it if we get snowed in. Or more likely, iced in. I'm OK with that as long as the power doesn't go out.
Even that won't be so bad, because I have a generator now. That means I really need to get an electrician out to check that breaker, just in case I need it.
This morning was our town's annual Downtown Jubilee, and I went as is my custom, but I didn't take a whole lot of photos this time. I mean, they would look just the same as the photos I took last year, and the year before and the year before. However, when I saw this old Beetle Bug, though I couldn't resist. I haven't seen one in ages.
I can usually pick up a few Christmas gifts from the vendors up there, but this time, nothing appealed. There was one booth that had a whole bunch of polished rocks and gemstones, which Brennan loves, but those folks were a little too proud of their wares for my wallet. A tiny little quarter sized stone for $15? No thanks.
I also found a man selling homemade apple butter, but he was very proud of that butter, too. He gave me a sample, and it was delicious, but he wanted $15 for a pint sized jar. I didn't want to pay that much for something Cody and Bren would likely end up throwing away anyway.
The only thing I bought was this hot sauce for Cody.
I thought it would be kind of a unique taste for him to try. They had plain habanero sauce, too, but I didn't get it. Now I kind of wish I had. Cody is so hard to buy for, but I also keep thinking about how many of the gifts I got them ended up in the garbage or the donation box. Oh my gosh, I don't even want to talk about their refrigerator...
How about the size of that flag?
And the girl who sang the National Anthem did such a good job. A little too much styling for my taste, but her voice was so strong and pitch perfect. All in all, it was a nice little outing, even though I didn't stay long. I made it home in time to watch all the football games -- and yes, I had the multi screen thing going at one point. I'm trying to hurry up and get this post finished, because I'm going to need all four screens this evening. Yes, Navy, Texas, LSU, and Ole Miss all play at the same time.
It ought to make for some good knitting time. Speaking of, I finished this hat yesterday.

Yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn
Colorway: Day Dreamery
Pattern: Basic Beanie
Needles: US 8 / 5 mm
In gardening news, I was laying in bed Thursday night and remembered that I had forgotten a very important part to my trash can composter -- the air holes. I got out of bed and ...no, I didn't go outside and drill air holes at 11:00 PM! However, I did put my drill by the back door so I'd remember to do it in the morning, and bright and early Friday, that's just what I did.

I still need to add some more browns to get the balance right, but it ought to turn out some nice compost by spring.
The next thing I did was to pull up the last of the pepper plants and cover that bed with some landscape fabric to absorb the heat.
Then I covered that with a sheet of Visqueen to contain that heat so that the fungus or virus or whatever infected that bed will be baked to death in the sun.
The downside to that is this will also kill or drive out the earthworms and beneficial insects and microbes, leaving me a dead, sterile bed. Come spring, a good layer of compost will revive it, I hope.
And finally, I have baby bluebonnets!
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got football to watch and knitting to knit!
Laters.










No comments:
Post a Comment