Monday, January 31, 2022

Ice, Maybe?

Well, now they're saying we're looking at the possibility of ice with this next storm coming through late Wednesday and into Thursday.  


My county is right at the edge between the "Threat" and "Higher Threat" area.  Whether we get ice or not, we still have a 100% chance of rain Thursday, so with that in mind, I began moving my new stack of wood under cover this afternoon -- to where I really wanted it to be in the first place.   I'm going to try to get the rest moved tomorrow and Wednesday, before the storm gets here.   Most of it anyway. 

I picked out some of the more seasoned pieces and started a stack by my back door,  just to have it close at hand.  


I'll need to find something to cover it with, so it doesn't get totally soaked when the rain starts.  Once the storm blows through, it's supposed to get cold again -- and by cold again, I mean in the mid to low 20s.  I'll have plenty of firewood, plus drinking water, and my propane camp stove all ready, just in case. Probably won't need it, but it never hurts to be prepared.   Hopefully, it'll all blow over with minimal ice buildup and no power outages.  

In other news, if you've been reading my blog awhile, you may recall a couple of years ago, I ordered some petri dishes from Amazon and did science.  Because science is cool.  The issue I had with that science is that I couldn't get my petri dishes up to the recommended 85'-100' temps for optimal bacteria growth.  Since then, I have found my heating pad, so I would be able to get my dishes incubating properly.  Now that I have the afore mentioned heating pad located, science is calling to me to try again.  

Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I ordered some more petri dishes, so I can do more science.


I'm probably going to wait until the weekend to start...you know, just in case the electricity goes out.  One of the experiments I'm thinking of doing is comparing the bacteria in the dog's mouth with bacteria in the cat's mouth.  I don't know how that'll turn out, but hey, that's what science is.  Getting an idea and testing it.  

Another thing I want to test is the effectiveness of hand sanitizer vs. regular soap.  I did that one last time, but I've got a better idea on how to get my hands really germy.  It involves potted meat and a large dog's large tongue.  And an appropriate level of grossness.  

I'll be sure to let you know how my little experiments go, and I'll be sure to take my photos on a dark colored, matte surface this time, too, so you can see the results better.  

I've got 10 dishes, so if there's anything you want me to test, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.  

And finally, Cody messaged me today to let me know that he and Brennan are officially engaged. 


Of course, that's no surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.  It's all he's been talking about for nearly 2 years now.  

And hey, I might end up with a grandkid after all...

No comments: